290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

Firmware on the LCD needs to support VBLANK for freesync to work, as is you need a GCN card and AMD's driver. It's not all that different than G-Sync except I have a feeling G-Sync is more refined, but the concept is both the same. Have AMD and supporting monitor, you get DP Adaptive sync, have G-Sync monitor and Nvidia card, you have G-Sync.

Okay... what if I get two 290x's now... and when the new cards come out and i need more power ill just buy another 290x to juice it up.
It would probably cost less or the same amount as buying two 390x's or two 880ti's.

Is that a stupid idea? I'm just thinking this way because ill have to wait 6months from now till they release and then I'd be paying top dollar for them which will be more expensive then today's cards.

Be about the same as what we have now. Can't really inflate anymore than what they have, or at least I hope.

Scaling on 3 290x's wouldn't help much. Just look at Quadfire benchmarks on 295x2 cards.

Be about the same as what we have now. Can't really inflate anymore than what they have, or at least I hope.

Scaling on 3 290x's wouldn't help much. Just look at Quadfire benchmarks on 295x2 cards.

What i mean is that the price has gone down around £100/ $100 since release of the cards (around 5months)
example
UK
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC Graphics Card (4GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0) | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com
US
Sapphire R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 DUAL DVI-D/HDMI/DP TRI-X OC Version PCI-Express Graphics Card 11226-00-40G | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

I'd have to wait another 5ish months(on top of the 6month wait for release) if i wanted to pay around the same price as i would be paying now... and by that time i could wait another 5ish months for the next next gen cards lol

I'm going a sleep right now. Ill have a look at the Quadfire benchmarks on 295x2 cards some time tomorrow.

thanks

If you're in the US, then the price hasn't dropped at all. MSRP for the card is 550, and 400 for the 290. They got seriously inflated due to mining and some hit 900+ for 290x cards. Now that the mining craze has dropped the cards have come back down in price. In however many months (I don't expect any real AMD GPU release till next year) the new 390x or whatever realistically should be released at 550-600 and hopefully a new "coin" mining won't hit at the same time. I can find 290's from miners locally for 300 bucks actually. I wish I had the cash to snag a few :lol:

I'm not saying don't get them. Just saying you're looking at mediocre performance at 4k for any of the cards on the market right now. I'd just stick with 1080p now and grab 4k later when the hardware has matured and UI scaling isn't bonkers. That way there it doesn't feel like 1000 bucks gets you hardly anything.

That Anadtech link is over a year old. 2 Titan Black cards can play most games decently at 4k besides the big heavy hitters. Course, that's 2 grand worth of GPU setup. The old Titans are barely better than a regular 780.

Yeah and way out his of budget.
I know You want that 4k setup mate hell I want it to, but u are better off waiting until is not so crazy expensive to so it.

Yeah and way out his of budget.
I know You want that 4k setup mate hell I want it to, but u are better off waiting until is not so crazy expensive to so it.

Haha I know I know!
Maybe what I'll do is buy what I want and keep my 1440p monitor. When there are good enough cards to support 4k no problem I'll buy a 4k monitor (free sync hopefully) and then sell the 290xs to my brother and buy the new gen cards..
I have a 580 now with a 1440p monitor... My current build just gets over 30fps with mid to high settings.. Don't think I can continue like it with all these graphical intense games coming out.

I just got a 780 6gb a few days ago and I was getting 35 to 45 fps on watch dogs maxed at 1440 and that game is crazy demanding. I'm sure I can get way better In the high 50fps on other games that aren't that demanding.

Back
Top Bottom