256mb or 512mb Graphics memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on what resolutions you will be playing on, standard 1280x1024 you could get away with the 256mb. But anything larger is usually a lot better handled with 512mb.

quake 4 says it needs 512mb to be run on ultra, and what about flight simulator x, doesn't that use alot of graphics memeory

Well but that all depends. What resolution are the testing the game on for there specs?

If it is only ~20 more then I would get the 512mb version.

well memory does make a reasonable difference at higher resolutions, especially if you want to play with bump mapping, high quality textures and all the other candy. i know for a fact quake 4 will start on Ultra Quality without 512mb, it just doesn't play so well at 1600x1200 ;) i haven't tried at a lower resolution. i guess if you are looking at a decent card and you have the extra 20 pounds then you should go for it. if you don't have the money to spare and you won't in the foreseeable future you may as well get the card you can afford. just know that in general gameplay 512mb doesn't make it faster, only in circumstances where 256mb of memory can't cope does that become a factor.

i think my 256 version i had before stuggled to render the textures in flight simulator so i think i will go dfor the 512mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom