20 pin to 24 pin with modular power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zindel

Baseband Member
okay this is really gettin to me, my brand new computer that i just ordered needs a 24 pin psu, well i ordered a new psu that was a modular, its only 400, now i was wondering if i could just get the diffrent modular cable and it would be okay or if 400w isent enough to power it with out damageing the computer, i put too much money down i dont wanna spend more if i dont have to so please help its a asus a8n-e the power supply is ultra x modular someone please help!!!!

No, less then 480w wont hurt your PSU, lol. It just depends on how many parts you have in your computer. If your have 4 hard disks, 2 CD-rom devices and 6 PCI cards and dual PCI-Express x16 cards in SLI you will need more juice. But 400w should be enough for an average PC.

The cable you posted looks like it has 24 pins on both sides. It's not an adapter I think. You can't connect it to your PSU if your PSU has 20 pins.

i thought the cable was to fit a 20 pin psu cuz it says "WOW! Replace your ULTRA X-ConnectÂ’s 20-pin motherboard cable with a 24-pin cable cleanly and neatly, with no ugly looking adapters!" i dident see anywhere it says that the psu needs to have 24 pins also? idk i may be wrong though

I guess your PSu should have 24 pins, too. Or else you wouldn't be able to hook it up. But I could be wrong, maybe that cable has 20 pins on one side and 24 pins on the other side.

alright well thanx for the help makes me feel better and if it dosent work ill just get a convert

IMO

Modular Power Supplies SUCK. Why you ask? I'll explain.

The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom