2 setups, HP vs Acer, who ya got

snowy2802

Beta member
I have two notebooks here, don't know which one to buy. The HP has the better graphics card, but I hear bad reviews on HP. Thoughts?

1. Acer Aspire V3-571G-9686 Notebook Intel Core i7 3632QM(2.20GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M

2. HP Pavilion 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2GB GDDR 5 video memory
FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
640GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

my other concern is I heard the pavilon can heat up pretty bad. Anyone have experience with either? prices are about the same

The Acer will brake right outside of warranty if it follows the typical Acer path.

Any laptop can get hot if mistreated. If anything the Acer would get hotter due to the fact that it's a quad core.

My vote is for the HP.

No offence but both companies arn't that good I had an HP pavilion and it always got hella hot and I mean burning and I cleaned out everything and had a notebook cooler but nothing helped. The hp broke with less in a year 1 day it felt and the screen just stopped working and the warranty didn't cover it :/ Laptops suck for gaming unless the real expensive ones

I see a lot of hate for HPs, but I've always had good experiences with them. My first HP laptop did suffer heat damage, but it was my fault because I had no idea how to take care of it. Their laptops do seem to run hotter than normal; I haven't experienced any Dell-style explosions, though. Apart from that, I haven't had one crap out on me and I've used a few.

I guess it's just one of those things; some people will have great experiences with a brand while others will have terrible experiences. The same could go for Acer. I like both brands, but neither are top of the line. In any case, I'd also go with the HP.

If you get an HP that's not a dv line, they're not as bad. The dv6xxx were especially the ones that ran hot and were notorious for problems.

I see a lot of hate for HPs, but I've always had good experiences with them. My first HP laptop did suffer heat damage, but it was my fault because I had no idea how to take care of it. Their laptops do seem to run hotter than normal; I haven't experienced any Dell-style explosions, though. Apart from that, I haven't had one crap out on me and I've used a few.

I guess it's just one of those things; some people will have great experiences with a brand while others will have terrible experiences. The same could go for Acer. I like both brands, but neither are top of the line. In any case, I'd also go with the HP.
I personally have not heard any HP heat stories, but then again I personally know ALL laptops run hot. People tend to forget you get desktop like performance but the heatsinks and fans are much smaller and compact. Look at the bottom of a laptop (or better yet take one apart) and then look at the heatsinks you can put on a desktop. Point made.

Another thing people tend to forget is dust/lint make a thick layer completely blocking airflow on the inside of a heatsink. Usually this will not come off without physically taking the laptop apart and scraping it off. This can happen within a matter of a month or two depending on the dust in your house and where you place your laptop during use. It also happens on all models. Once this happens heat soak becomes a problem and starting throttling the GPU as well as the CPU. I cannot stress enough to people, especially people with gaming laptops, to clean their ****. Not just get a puny little can of air, or try to force the layer out with an air compressor. Physically take it apart and clean it yourself. Makes all the difference on any brand or model of laptop.

As for Acer, those I have personally talked to many laptop repair people and Acer comes in the most frequent.

I personally have not heard any HP heat stories, but then again I personally know ALL laptops run hot. People tend to forget you get desktop like performance but the heatsinks and fans are much smaller and compact. Look at the bottom of a laptop (or better yet take one apart) and then look at the heatsinks you can put on a desktop. Point made.

Look up almost any of the dv (especially dv6) series. They were notorious for having issues with the shoddy solder joints on the GPU and other traces.

Combination of high heat from the nVidia cards and bad solder made those laptops horrid.

Back
Top Bottom