2 questions; is eSATA better than Firewire, what are artifacts/screen corruption? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hellfire!
 
Wildside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 3,038
Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Question 2 questions; is eSATA better than Firewire, what are artifacts/screen corruption?

simple questions that i need answers to, sry if wrong forums.
__________________

__________________
--Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
--AMD Ryzen 1700x @ 3.4GHz w/ MX-4 and Corsair Hydro 100i Liquid Cooler
--Corsair LPX Vengeance Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 DRAM
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Wildside is offline  
Old 06-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: 2 questions; is eSATA better than Firewire, what are artifacts/screen corruption?

I think eSATA, has faster transfer speeds, than Firewire and USB....but Firewire and USB, allows for more length in their cables to transfer, than eSATA cables. Firewire and USB also allow for more than one device per channel, to be linked or daisy chained, while I think eSATA allows one.

To the best of my knowledge, an artifact is a loss of data or a defect, visible in an image or video. With gaming, it is usually seen, when the graphic card is overheating, or if it has been overclocked too far.
__________________

__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hellfire!
 
Wildside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 3,038
Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Default Re: 2 questions; is eSATA better than Firewire, what are artifacts/screen corruption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
I think eSATA, has faster transfer speeds, than Firewire and USB....but Firewire and USB, allows for more length in their cables to transfer, than eSATA cables. Firewire and USB also allow for more than one device per channel, to be linked or daisy chained, while I think eSATA allows one.

To the best of my knowledge, an artifact is a loss of data or a defect, visible in an image or video. With gaming, it is usually seen, when the graphic card is overheating, or if it has been overclocked too far.
hmm interesting.........so just longer cables n allow multiple devices to be use? If i were to get an eSATA external HDD, would i not be able to use my keyboard n mouse when the HDD is in use? That's retarded. Still, length wouldnt be a problem for me.

i OCed my 6600 LE too far for one day n i dont remember seeing any problems with the picture, u mean like fade or loss of colors for example?

Thanks for answering b1gapl, ur the man now dog!
__________________
--Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
--AMD Ryzen 1700x @ 3.4GHz w/ MX-4 and Corsair Hydro 100i Liquid Cooler
--Corsair LPX Vengeance Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 DRAM
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Wildside is offline  
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: 2 questions; is eSATA better than Firewire, what are artifacts/screen corruption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
hmm interesting.........so just longer cables n allow multiple devices to be use? If i were to get an eSATA external HDD, would i not be able to use my keyboard n mouse when the HDD is in use? That's retarded. Still, length wouldnt be a problem for me.

i OCed my 6600 LE too far for one day n i dont remember seeing any problems with the picture, u mean like fade or loss of colors for example?

Thanks for answering b1gapl, ur the man now dog!
Why would you think, if the external eSATA is in use, you would not be able to use the keyboard or mouse? They're not in the same channel. Of course you can use the keyboard and mouse, while the eSATA is in use.

Artifacts in gaming, will be anything unusual, that you would not normally see, while playing a game. Like yellow or white dots, weird abstract shapes of white, black, or yellow...anything weird on the screen, that you would not usually see.
__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 06-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: 2 questions; is eSATA better than Firewire, what are artifacts/screen corruption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
Why would you think, if the external eSATA is in use, you would not be able to use the keyboard or mouse? They're not in the same channel. Of course you can use the keyboard and mouse, while the eSATA is in use.

Artifacts in gaming, will be anything unusual, that you would not normally see, while playing a game. Like yellow or white dots, weird abstract shapes of white, black, or yellow...anything weird on the screen, that you would not usually see.
thats it really.... i have nothing to add....
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.