2 psu question

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
Hi there, and how are yall doin? I am somewhat of a beginner to hardware and such, and I have read how to use 2 psu's for one system, but I'm still a bit curious about it. I recently bought a tower at circuit city's going out of business sale. AMD Phenom x4 1.8 ghz, 4 gb ram, 500 gb HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE (integrated), Vista 64bit, cd/dvd burner, card reader, 300w psu.

I would like to buy a decent graphics card, but i will need more power. I do have a spare 250w psu that i would like to use for the graphics card and a second cd drive. The motherboard has 2 power connections for it. the 24pin that is currently being used, and another 20pin connection that free. Would I be able to connect the old psu the the 20 pin connection, and just install the card and use that cable for the cd drive, or would that not work?

on a second note, I'm not looking for top of the line graphics, but half-way decent would be nice. I wouldn't like to spend over 150, but if i need to, then so be it.

any help would be appreciated. thanks much.

~Apsoul

It can be done but when you are starting off I would just advise you go out an buy a better PSU rather than trying to jerry rig two together.

I have done it before, for a short time , for testing a few things without taking out the other psu, or even disconnecting it. there is really no where to put the second psu. I would spend like $80 and buy a single decent psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom