2 68's or 1 79/80

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
I REALLY dont want to buy the first generation of g80 cards just because of money, demand, bugs, etc etc... just like how you never buy the first model of a car

anyways, i have a 6800gt ultra right now, its going good... i can play bf2 on full settings while scanning for viruses (my x2 :love:)

but i was wondering if i should either upgrade to a 79 card or 80 card and just sell my 68 to fund this new depreciating investment, or spend like 90 dollars and get another 68 in SLI (i have an sli board and psu and stuff)

anyone have some good links to benchmarks of 2x6800 vs 1x79gt?

because i want to know how much it will be under it... I dont want to waste 100 dollars!

Tom

There are People around these parts far more knowledgeable than me, but in my readings I have gleaned:

A single card of any given generation (i.e. 7900GT) is better than the previous generation in SLI (i.e. 7800GT)

Guru's...?

Ultimately, its up to you if you're going to either wait for the g80 cards, or just get current gen cards. Though if you get current gen, don't waste money on the x1900xt or 7950gx2's just yet, you could get a 7600gt instead thats around $150 and just save up for the next gen cards.

To me it looks like getting another 6800Ultra for SLI would produce about roughly the same performance as the 7900GT in 1600x1200, even with AA on. Higher resolutions the 7900GT would win. I would guess on lower resolutions it would be about the same, but I would think the 6800U SLI could do more AA/AF.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451

Note: the test results were with a 7800GTX, which is on AVERAGE about the same performance as a 7900GT.

In my opinion, another 6800Ultra for $90 would give you a nice boost until the second generation of DX10 cards are available. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom