1U Rackmount Server Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

ter310

Beta member
Hello all,

I have a quick question, hope this is the right place to post it, if not please move. I recently purchased a 1U rackmount server and will be co-locating it in a datacenter in a couple of weeks.

The datacenter will have cooling, power, etc. however prior to the co-locating I need to rebuild the server and do some work/testing on it. The specs. are below:

1 Pentium Dual Core Processor (3.0GHz)
1 GB Memory
2 250 SATA HD's w/Hardware RAID (Configured for RAID 1)
Supermicro 1U Chassis w/two hot-swappable drives

My question is... is it okay to run this unit at room temperature for awhile. By room temperature, I mean an air conditioned office. The server came with a CentOS 4.3 x86_64 SMP kernel on it that I, unfortunately due to software requirements, have to load Fedora Core 4 64bit on instead. And I need to do some testing so would like to run it for a couple of days.

I think it should be okay... my thoughts are that a single Pentium D can be found in workstations. This is my first real rackmount server, and I'm just paranoid!!!! Just want to make sure I don't destroy it :)

Best Regards,
Tom

yea it should be fine running it at room temperature, even if it starts overheating im pretty sure the mobo will restart the computer or shut it down so that might be an indication of it getting too hot.

Thanks for the advice. I guess if I had a room full of them, I'd have a problem! Should be fine and I read through the MB documentation, and it will alert on overheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom