1st post. i7 4970k w/ gigabyte z97x gaming 3

frldyz

In Runtime
Hi. This is my very 1st post.

I am building a PC right now. Well actually buying all the components, then building.
I just bought the Intel i7 4970k Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR3 RAM. I also got the Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 mobo.

MY background and experience with PC's is minimal to none. I am replacing our home desktop PC. I could go buy 1 pre-built. But I want this challenge.

Our PC will only be used for the basics. Email, browsing, word documents, possibly some light gaming in the future. But most storing family pics, vids etc. I might like to get into some home video editing in the future.

Is this mobo good for my needs.
I would like to build the biggest and baddest PC I can.
The more bells and whistles it comes with but I don't have Im ok with.

I've been reading about bottlenecking.
Will this mobo hold me back from performance from my CPU?
Will it limit what I can add or do to my PC in the future?

How long do you plan on keeping this thing? The specs are horribly overkill :lol:

You'll probably also want an SSD as well. That's one of the best things you can do to a computer to improve performance.

The purpose of this built is to buy more then I need right now, so I will be able to use it for as long as possible.
I'm hoping to get many years from this project.

Thanks.

Remember I'm new.
What is an m.2 SSD? What are the advantages and why do I care? (that's not meant to sound offense )

Thanks.

Remember I'm new.
What is an m.2 SSD? What are the advantages and why do I care? (that's not meant to sound offense )

Overview of M.2 SSDs - Puget Custom Computers

SSD Guide: M.2 PCI-Express, M.2 SATA, M-SATA And SATA Express - The Differences Explained!

M.2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazon.com: Crucial M500 480GB SATA 6Gbps M.2 Internal SSD [Crucial PN: CT480M500SSD4]: Computers & Accessories

With this hard drive you could do data backup or let windows/linux have it.
My suggestion is you split the size into 2 partitions.
It'll be much easier for windows to handle half a size of a hard drive and be more efficient.

Western Digital WD Blue Hard Drive 1TB WD10EZEX 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" | Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Back
Top Bottom