1920 x 1080 Worth it in a 22"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTalonTPF

Beta member
My main question, as the title says, is can you really notice 1920x1080 compared to a 1680x1050 in a 22" LCD? Or do you really need a 24"?

Here is my situation, I am getting a second monitor to run a dual setup, with my old monitor becoming my secondary. My old monitor is 22" viewsonic with native res 1680 x 1050. I use my computer to game and do graphics work mainly.

My other concern is the performance hit I will see running games at 1920x. I have a decent rig, with a 8800GTX and have had no problems running games near max at 1680x1050. I really do not want to get a 1920x native res monitor and have to run games at 1680x out of its native res.

Thanks!

You can, at that resolution, I think the whole point of AA is almost negated, the resolution is so high, the picture will be really crisp and you wouldn't see Jaggies at all..

That being said, I don't think you should upgrade until you upgrade that 8800GTX... as great as a card as it was (is), on today's games I wouldn't expect good settings @ 1920x1200... if you consider an upgrade to a GTX 200 series or an HD 4800 series, you'd be able to handle that resolution no problem..

I wouldn't worry about 24'' (which run at 1920x1200), because its got more pixels than 1920x1080 and it'll be a bigger FPS drop anyways..

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess the other option is that I will be eventually upgrading my comp, and I want a monitor that will be future proof and work with that upgrade. So 1920x1080 does produce a noticeable difference?
In the mean time I can just play games on non-native res...dunno how noticeable the visual hit will be.

Going up to that res is noticable, but im not entirely sure it will be worth it. Normally the reason people go up a res is because they want a bigger screen.

Also, I dont know if you have ever played something at a non-native res with an lcd, but it can be horrible.

I have played games out of native res on my current monitor, and it is not horrible. Although I could have been attributing the graphics hit to the lower res and not to being outside native res.

my moni is a 22inch- well since it's 1080P it's "21.5" inches - and coming from a CRT 22inch I can tell you it's a load of change.

The AA thing-- I still haven't seen "perfect smooth" even with my GPU cranked. some games I play at full - but others like "Sims 3" just don't look good on it - makes it hard to read the info and such.

Well first off all not all 24" monitors are at 1920x1200, about half of the models are 1920x1080. Secondly you do want to run your monitor at native res where ever you can so if your GFX card is going to struggle at 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 then you will simply need to upgrade the GFX card or get a lower res monitor. Lastly 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 makes a big difference to games, especially FPS games, TBH the higher the resolution the bigger advantage you have.

So, if you want to run new games at a high setting but dont want to buy a new gfx card then get a lower res 22", otherwise, the more pixels the better :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom