1600x1200 CRT or 19" LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 inch LCD!! I have a 19 inch lcd, and when I went to my friends house, his crt screen annoyed the heck out of me. Also, IMO they look much better. - Charlie

At work, they use CRTs. But they have recently mounted some LCDs on some poles to show announcements and updates on (warehouse enviroment).

Anyway, when I'm on the parcel line, I am looking toward shipping and can see their CRT beside the LCD. Major difference... even from 35-45 feet away.

Beefcake said:
Well if a slight performance increase of the 7900GTX compelled you to sell your new X1900XT on ebay then obviously it had to be too old for you. It's either that or your just an idiot. It's even more stupid since you have an LCD and can't even go higher then 12x10. Have fun having an extra 2-5fps. If I had a LCD I would take the HQAF that the X1000 series has then over a couple frames, it especially looks great in BF2. Also having HDR with AA in ALL games other then just Lost Coast is always nice.

CRTs have better color ranges then LCDs, especially the deeper blacks. They can play on all resolutions that are standard in gaming (new CRTs). Don't have to worry about dead pixels which really gets on my nerves when I play games. They have much higher refresh rates and don't flicker on those. They also cost a lot less then decent gaming LCDs. The only thing LCDs have over CRTs are that they take less space/weight and power. So while you can buy a new LCD I could buy two CRTs and dual screen them for around the same price. LCDs are getting cheaper to make inch by inch. Once I can get a decent LCD with resolutions over 12x10 without spending a ton of money I will do it but for now CRTs are fine.

"CRTs have been around a LONG time and they simply can't match a LCD." Actually since LCDs are not even capable of things that CRTs have (other then the extremely expensive LCDs) it should be LCDs can't match CRTs.

It really depends on what you want. If you want to have more room on your desk then LCDs are excellent. If you like having higher resolutions and better colors then CRTs are excellent. 17" LCDs are fine for gaming I just don't like 19" LCDs enough for me to spend $300+ for a decent gaming one that can't even play at 10x7 res without killing my eyes.

Now now, you don't want to start a flame war do you. I didn't get past the first paragraph, but you wouldn't do wel calling people "stupid", eh? And just so you know, I bought a 7900GTX because it was the best and I built a $2200 system so I wasn't about to be second-best to anyone.

Trotter said:
All I know is that I'll never willingly go back to a CRT.

Amen to that.

Alright don't turn this into a LCD IS TEH BEST or CRT IS TEH GREATEZT!!!11oneone.

I had a choice a while back, a 17" LCD or a 19" CRT. I chose the CRT, for many reasons, cost, the fact I was going to be gaming on it, it was a flatscreen (always nice!), and I don't want to put up with the dead pixel, contrast ratio, or refresh rate bullpoop that comes along with owning an LCD. Trust me here, I've been through numerous LCD's and none of them can compare to a time-tested CRT. If I can, I'd always have a CRT, the bigger the better, but if space is an issue, then LCD's are the way to go, but if I had a choice of the two, definatly CRT.

Green Radiance, I would suggest you do a Google search, or better yet, take a simple physics class to learn how a CRT works, and why its not bad for your eyes.
MYTH: Using computers damages a child's eyes.
FACT: According to the AAO, working on computers won't harm your eyes. However, when using a computer for long periods of time, the eyes blink less than normal (like they do when reading or performing other close work). This makes the eyes dry, which may lead to a feeling of eyestrain or fatigue. So, it's a good idea to make sure your child takes frequent breaks from the computer or video games.

Niether is TV, or watching it in the dark, or reading in the dark, or any of that stupid crap.

Quality CRT's don't make your eyes bleed. I use my CRT for 15 hours a day and never have any problems. I can ply my games at any resolution which is good because I have an old computer.
I want a new CRT but they are hard to get over here, especially because I want a quality CRT. The shops only sell cheap CRT's like the maintream Philips and Samsung models.

I bought a 7900GTX because it was the best and I built a $2200 system so I wasn't about to be second-best to anyone.

thats why you build yourself a new system? so youre not second best to anyone man thats so silly. im sorry but i wouldnt listen to anyone who sells a x1900xt because he doesnt want to be beaten?

Personally I find A good CRT just fine, I've been gaming on my Iiyama 19" visionmaster Pro for an age and its sweet.

As long as you keep the refresh rate at 85Hz+ it shouldn't hurt your eyes, though I must say anything less than that I can see flicker (yes I can) and that does quickly make me feel ill.

In performance stakes CRT is best fullstop, if you want the best get a good CRT, however if you want the newest technology that *looks* the best then a LCD is the way.

So you know where I stand I actually have a 19" LCD in the post intended to replace my failing CRT... I'll repost opinions when it gets here.

I wasn't neccesarilly saying that your stupid. I was saying the selling an X1900XT for a 7900GTX is pretty stupid logic especially if you have an LCD witch is capped at 12x10 resolution. I hate people that waste money so they can say "I have the best", personally I would consider the X1900XT better on an LCD for HDR w/ AAA and HQAF since they are almost identical in performance on those resolutions.

Green Radience said:
CRTs have been around a LONG time and they simply can't match a LCD

You can't just disregard something for how long they have existed. The wheel has been around for over 6000 years, should we should just stop using it?

New CRTs don't put as much eye strain as the older ones do. I am getting a 17" LCD sometime later this year because of two main reasons. I am getting rid of my huge desk and getting something smaller so I have more space in my room, and my CRT will take a lot of space. I also go to a lot of LAN parties and lugging around the CRT is annoying. But right now my desk is awsome for CRTs, it's just it's so big it's a problem.

mikL said:
thats why you build yourself a new system? so youre not second best to anyone man thats so silly. im sorry but i wouldnt listen to anyone who sells a x1900xt because he doesnt want to be beaten?

Wow. Dude, I built this computer because I had the money to build a computer. Why do you think people build $2500 computers, huh? I was able to get it to be the best computer to my knowledge (can't beat a 2.8GHz Dual Core processor and a X1900XT). But a week after I built it, the 7900GTX came out, and I wasn't going to down from my top position. So I sold my X1900XT for $430 and bought the 7900GTX for $499.

Beefcake said:
You can't just disregard something for how long they have existed. The wheel has been around for over 6000 years, should we should just stop using it?

There is a fault in your comparison; The WHEEL itself may have existed for 6000 years, but you need to compare it to the DISPLAY. "The wheel" is a very general comment. If you're comparing, you compare "The Wheel" to "The Display", not a specific type of display. The first wheels were made out of stone, and the first displays were crappy little things. The same way, "the wheel" advanced in technology and now we have high-quality rubber wheels. Thats the same as the CRT being the wooden kind of wheel, and the LCD being the new rubber wheels.

Well lets use that comparison. LCDs are relativity new and can be compared to rubber wheels. When rubber wheels were first made they were very expensive to make/buy compared to wooden wheels. They also had limitations like cracking in winter and poped relatively easily. But know rubber tires have advanced so far that they are made pretty easy, cheaper, and stronger with better grip.

LCDs cost a lot to make compared to CRTs (just look at the price of LCDs when they first came out) but is getting cheaper year by year. They also have limitations like colors and resolutions. But like rubber tires they also got advantages. They made the carriages load lighter and pulled/pushed easier then wood and didn't make the ride as bumpy.

LCDs are lighter and give less eye strain even though it hardly bothers me, (I do my school work on computers and they all use CRTs then I come home and use mine and I don't have much of a problem with my eyes hurting). Although better then the early LCDs the current models that don't cost a ton and most people use still have some limitations.

If you don't game there is no reason to get a CRT unless your low on money. But if you do game the advantages make the CRT much more bigger then "normal" PC users. High refresh rates, higher resolutions, and colors look better (specifically black). But they are big and use a lot of power. I am switching to LCD since I need more room and move my computer a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom