1600$ Gaming Rig - Check it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

doeden

Solid State Member
My current rig is slowly becoming worthless, especially with games such as Crysis on the horizon. I decided to build myself a new computer, and me and my friend began picking out parts in anticipation for next generation games.

Overall the cost comes out to 1653.47 with shipping, on newegg. I am a little hesitant however to stop looking for parts as this is, despite me willing to lay down this much cash, pretty expensive. I'm not a wizster when it comes to the best parts, so I was hoping to get some suggestions and tips on my computer from the community.

What I am looking for:

1. General suggestions - Pretty much anything you see wrong, or right, and can comment on it.
2. Better parts for less - Going back to me not knowing the perfect parts for cost, I was hoping to see if anyone knew better parts for less money. In short: Is it possible to lower the cost and gain(or keep the same) performance? If so, please point me to those parts!
3. Super Man rig - Obviously this isn't the most jacked rig you can buy, but it's pretty close and allows to easily leap over into next gen games. Try not to suggest parts that would make the price burn a 60ft hole in my wallet(assuming I had a 60ft wide wallet...). Read #2 for an good example.
4. You're an idiot! - I'm an idiot that screwed up so bad you had to call me an... idiot. Try to correct my mistake for me by explaining where I went wrong and possible ways to correct it.

Cost: $1,653.47
HDD: $219.99
Power Supply: $149.99
RAM: $180.99
Mobo: $113.99
GPU: $559.99
CPU: $218.00
CPU Cooling: $69.99
RW Drive: $27.99
Full Tower: $74.99

Parts:
HDD:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
PS: Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Retail
RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813130082
GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
CPU Cooling:Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail
RW Drive: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM IDE Burner - OEM
Full Tower: Newegg.com - Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Look it over for me guys, tell me what you think. And don't hurt me if I screwed up.

Hey if you wait 14 days intel will be dropping th prices on their CPUs
And i will say it first since everyone else will. Get G.skill ram, it apparently over clocks better.

How much are they dropping, if you don't mind me being lazy and not finding out myself?

Your choices are somewhat informed so that's good.

However there are many better parts for the money and I'll tell ya heh.

for the HDD's a single raptor is not worth the money.

RAID 0 2 Seagate 7200.10 drives and you will see very similar performance while getting TONS more space.

The PSu is a good PSu but this one is better.
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply at ZipZoomfly

The Ram is ok but these are much better for the price
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

The mobo is a good one but it has a little trouble overclocking sometimes. I suggest this one instead
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.3) LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

The video card is my favorite brand so thats good

The zalman 9700 is pretty good but the Tuniq Tower 120 is better, but just doesnt look nearly as cool.

The E6600 will be the same price as the E6400 right now on april 22nd so get one of those then

The optical drive is fine

The case is pretty good for the money and I guess will work but it doesnt have a front intake fan which would scare me....especially with an 8800GTX produces craploads of heat.

ya 8800's are known to run hot... might want to get a case with good airflow.. my 8800 hits 80 degreese sometimes.

I swapped out the OCZ for the G.Skill you suggested, but why does the mobo you linked have no reviews?

Also, I was told that with a 8800gtx, you want a 700W power supply minimum otherwise it slows it down due to the fact that it doesn't have enough power. I wasn't sure if this was true or not, but got a 700W power supply anyway.

The mobo is a revised version of a very very popular mobo highly recommended.

Whoever told you that was lieing...a good 500 watt PSU could handle one of those things.

there was a test where a 400w FSP was able to run the system as well.

The Corsair 520HX is actually enough power but just to leave upgrade room get the 620HX. The Corsair I listed will handle SLI 8800GTX's..

He linked a previous revision of it, I guess on accident. The current one is Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail. It has plenty of reviews :p, don't worry, it is one of the most popular boards out there.

You don't need 700W. That's only if you have a crap de la crapo brand. A Corsair 520W will do fine, the 620 is more then enough. You could even run SLI on the 620. You need to look at the amps on the 12v rail more then the wattage. Many wattage ratings are pretty much BS anyway.

Edit: beat me to it.........................

I'm actually Doeden's friend who was helping him pick out parts. I actually got a 600W Ultra Powersupply and had it blow on me within a couple of days. Read some reviews and a lot of them said that 700W wasn't required but preferred in some instances, if not than I may've just gotten a bad PSU. Is the Gigabyte Motherboard better than the MSI I spec'd out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom