$1500 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 470 doesn't get quite as hot as a 480, I believe about 93c after a while at absolute max load, but real world temps will never be that high.
So to answer your question, running those two next to eachother should be fine.

Almost ready to buy, but have questions about Ram.

I had planned on getting the GSkill, Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Series 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T2-12GBPI, but have seen other similar builds on this forum recommending this OCZ Newegg.ca - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

I thought this board and cpu combo required 1.5V as in the GSkill I chose, but the OCZ is 1.65V . And the OCZ timings are higher. What's up with that? Have I chosen the wrong Ram?

Also, I'm going to buy 2GBx6, which would populate all six slots. What if down the road I wanted to add more Ram? Can I buy 4GBx3 and leave the other 3 slots open?

I wouldn't go with the 12Gb set. Often filling all six slots results in poorer performance.
The OCZ golds are a tried and true set, good enough timings too. My old ram was 9-9-9-24 and it ran like a champ, so 8-8-8-24 is plenty fine.

Okay, but what about the higher voltage on the OCZ? Thought the Gig board said 1.5V.

I'm listening, but other than populating all 6 slots how can I install 12GB? I don't see any 4GB sticks on Newegg.

Thought I mentioned that. Heavy loads on photoshop cs5 requires lots of ram and cpu power.

What's the best way to install 12GB?

I work at a graphics company, we use Macs for our photoshopping needs. The max ram any machine has is 8Gb, most only have 4Gb, some even have 2Gb.

The 4Gb machines work fine, so long as you've got a powerful cpu. 6Gb will be plenty.

As for the differing voltage on the two sets of ram, it's down to how the chips were designed.

If you REALLY think you're gonna need 12Gb tho, the OCZ gold's are once again a good set http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227422

Thought I mentioned that. Heavy loads on photoshop cs5 requires lots of ram and cpu power.

What's the best way to install 12GB?

I've been playing with a copy of the CS5 pre-release build, it runs pretty much the same, if not better then cs4. You don't need 12gb, I'm running 4gb and its perfectly smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom