$1500 or so without monitor or OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejjman1

Baseband Member
See earlier thread if questions: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/2000-gaming-build-203401/

I tried putting one together, but its really hard to try and match parts. I'm trying to view some guides that may help. This build was put together by gt7/Evolv, but some of the pieces are gone/may have been upgraded.

For $2000 you can get a beastly gaming rig.

cpu & mobo: (unknown)

Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGEGTX2951792E GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Acer H233Hbmid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 (ACM) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

$1948 w/ shipping, then $60 mail in rebates. If you won't build in 5 months, prices will change and better things will probably come out.

Any help would be great. I'm trying to figure out CPU/Processor stuff as of now. Thanks!

Drop the Vista Home Premium and use the Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 (until it comes out on October 20th)

You can still get a Core i7 from Microcenter for $200 which is a guaranteed D0 Revision, then I'd pick up an ASUS P6T Motherboard. I think you should now have the room to keep that GTX 295 in there too. If not, drop your video card to these: HD 4870, GTX 285, GTX 275, HD 4890, maybe HD 4870X2 (I really don't recommend it, but I don't really recommend the GTX 295 either.)

I just want to mention that I bought my i7 920 from microcenter a little less than a month ago and it was a C0 stepping. Unfortunately, I didn't know the distinction back then and I was disappointed when I found out but I think the reason for the huge discount could be they are trying to sell out all the C0's? Just a thought.

Its guaranteed D0 now... but I wouldn't be disappointed with an i7 period, even if its a C0.

Thank you, Muffin. A few questions.

Is this a really good PC for gaming?
Will it last for future games, and last me in general for like 5 years (hopefully)?
Is this going to overheat bad?
Is it, er, 64 bit..?
Vista Ultimate with Windows 7 thing a good choice?

I can run the computer, with everything I receive from all these items...Ofc without a DVD drive, but you understand what I'm saying. This is not including an OS of choice.

Thank you, Muffin. A few questions.

Is this a really good PC for gaming?
Will it last for future games, and last me in general for like 5 years (hopefully)?
Is this going to overheat bad?
Is it, er, 64 bit..?
Vista Ultimate with Windows 7 thing a good choice?

I can run the computer, with everything I receive from all these items...Ofc without a DVD drive, but you understand what I'm saying. This is not including an OS of choice.

- Its got the best GPU out there currently, so you can figure out the rest :D
- 5 Years no... well not maxed out anyways.. you might be talking low settings in 5 years
- The GPU might but if you good decent airflow in the case you should be good
- Its 64bit capable
- As in you want to dual boot? That's a solid idea

- Its got the best GPU out there currently, so you can figure out the rest :D
- 5 Years no... well not maxed out anyways.. you might be talking low settings in 5 years
- The GPU might but if you good decent airflow in the case you should be good
- Its 64bit capable
- As in you want to dual boot? That's a solid idea

Hey thanks!

1. It's not extremely ventilated. It's under my desk by my legs, which has no airflow. Maybe I could get a 'cooler' of some sort.

2. Ok, I didn't mean high end in 5 years, but I just want it to last me.

3. No, not a dual boot. Should I put Vista Ultimate on it, or put Windows 7? I'm a solid gamer.

If you have vista put that on there, otherwise just download the RC until it comes out like vernong said. Im guessing your not going to overclock so you wont need a aftermarket CPU cooler and the GPU will be fine, the temps are not really that bad, mid 40's idle and mid 70's load, just about any card these days, only difference is you have two gpus to cool and that will effect your case ambient temperature. Its nothing to worry yourself about though.

Hey thanks!

1. It's not extremely ventilated. It's under my desk by my legs, which has no airflow. Maybe I could get a 'cooler' of some sort.

2. Ok, I didn't mean high end in 5 years, but I just want it to last me.

3. No, not a dual boot. Should I put Vista Ultimate on it, or put Windows 7? I'm a solid gamer.

Ahh ok

1. I'm talking about that case mate, like just keep your Wire Management good and you should be fine
2. It should last 5 years, not sure about the life span of a Dual GPU card though
3. Use Windows 7 RC1 for now if you don't already have Vista Ultimate.. if you hve it already, just install Ultimate and then get a Vista Ultimate upgrade disk later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom