$1500 Gaming rig. Kindly help me out! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Cool $1500 Gaming rig. Kindly help me out!

Hey guys!

This is my planned build

CPU-i5 2500k--------------------------------------$248
MOTHERBOARD-AsRock P67 Extreme4---------------$176
GRAPHICS CARD-GTX570---------------------------$379
CASE-Antec 300-----------------------------------$55
PSU-Antec TruePower 750W------------------------$139
RAM-8GB G-Skill N.T 1333mHz----------------------$85
MONITOR-LG 2353V-PF 23"-------------------------$169
HDD-Seagate SATA2 3.5" 1TB----------------------$59
OS-Window 7--------------------------------------$99
DVD RW-SATA Blu-Ray Combo Samsung-------------$59
CPU Cooler- CoolerMaster Hyper212+---------------$33

Any problems with it? (compatibility issues, chipset issue, alternative better part, bottlenecking, overkill etc.)

Thanks for help,

Old 03-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
OCZ SSD Enthusiast
Default Re: $1500 Gaming rig. Kindly help me out!

I'd get a SATA3 hard drive and blu ray player being that the motherboard has that option.

I wouldn't get a cpu cooler unless you're planning on overclocking...and if you are planning on overclocking, based on reviews I just read, it won't get you too far...it's supposed to be a great cooler "for the price" not how far you can oc it. This is just from what I read...I'm not really good with cpu coolers, so you'd have to get someone else's opinion.

Asus P5Q Motherboard * OC'ed Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.82ghz w/ Arctic Silver 5 * OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066ghz * Kingston Hyper X (2x2gb) DDR2 1066ghz * EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked * Ultra X-Blaster ATX Mid-Tower * OCZ Vertex 2 120gb * WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 rpm * OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU * Sony Optaric DVD Burner * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * 22" LG Flatron W2252TQ LCD * LG Flatron E2281

Samsung Series 7 17.3" Laptop w/ 256gb Vertex 4 SSD
Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

if you are gonna overclock go with either the extreme6, just overall better than the 4, or the Asus p8p67 pro. Both are around 200. Also where are you getting your parts, You can get a better deal on a PSU than the one you have listed depending on where you're getting the stuff from.

Also the 300 is pretty small, you might take that into consideration. the 570 is similarly sized to the card that's in this 300
Also the 300 is notorious for bad cable management which will cut temps and won't look as pretty.

Other than those suggestions, looks good!
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

as Peter said, the Antec 300 is pretty small... i personally got one for my first build and was astonished at the size, but once the other parts for my computer came in, i was staring at it thinking "holy crap these parts are massive" and it was true. my graphics card took up the whole length of my case and the cables for the psu had to go around it or just straight out block the airflow... tehres no place to put the fan cables (for speed adjustment), so you have to use tape, and its just a big hassle.

its good for such a cheap case, best one for that price, but i don't think its worth it, especially if you're going to add more parts or replace some parts... the psu leaves behind A LOT of extra cables too... and the small cable compartment the 300 gives isn't that big.

i would drop the cpu cooler and spend a little more money buyin the Antec 900... it looks so much sleeker, nicer and it is highly rated on newegg... but thats just me, since theres no point putting the cpu fan intel gives you to waste... and another thing, it doesn't seem like the coolermaster 212 comes with any thermal paste/compound... so you would have to spend an extra few dollars anyway to get optimal cooling for your CPU.
Closed Thread