$1500 Gaming PC

PC_Caveman

In Runtime
Was tasked with building my father a new PC with one primary directive. Be able to run current high end Skyrim mods without any issues with everything on ultra. After looking around i saw that some of the current high end mods could use 2-3 gigs of Vram, which makes for a pricey video card. Wondering if anyone here currently uses the mods and can provide some insight, I had a rough idea of what to get.

Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz -CPU
ASUS Z87-PRO -MoBo
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB -SSD
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB -Ram
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 -PSU
GTX 780 - GPU
Cooler Master HAF X -Case

wondering if i really need a 780 to run these mods it seems a bit overkill, I'm a big fan of the case I've used it in a few other recent builds and everyone has been really happy with it. Any input is appreciated as always.

You can save some cash by going with an ASRock Z87 Extreme3, Samsung EVO 250GB, and dropping that PSU down to a Seasonic G series 650w. You don't need anymore wattage than that.

And actually, if you use the STEP mod completely it can take up to 4GB of VRAM. I've loaded up a 4GB 680 before running 2560x1600 downsampled, 8xAA, and all the maximum graphics options from STEP.
That being said though, it all depends on what resolution your dad plays at. If he plays at 1080p a 780 will be fine regardless of the lack of 1GB of extra VRAM as it's significantly more powerful than a single 680.

Also on the RAM, no need for anything faster than 1600. You didn't specify what speed you chose. Otherwise good all around.

Good choices really. If you have enough from the stuff I said before, just get him a 780ti.

Back
Top Bottom