$1400 max budget for gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I was taking that into consideration. Currently I have a 23" monitor and a 5850 for my build. Does that sound like it matches up well and would play most games at high settings?

What's the resolution on the 23" monitor? I'm assuming 1920x1200, in which case it would probably play most games at reasonably high settings. The 5870 can do very intense games like Crysis at high settings but can have some slowdown (40-50 FPS). I'm assuming the 5850 is based around the same GPU as the 5870 but with fewer stream processors, a shorter board and cooler, and a lower clock speed. You can always overclock the core to make up for the difference (ATi's Catalyst drivers have built in safe overclocking features). You may even be able to unlock the extra stream processors (all chips have 1600 shader processors, but they disable some of them to make the lower end models, sometimes this is due to defective shader processors, other times it is just to make a tiered product line and the chip is perfectly fine unlocked). It really depends on what games you want to play.

a 5870 is much better than a 5850, but a 5850 is still an amazing card, especially for the price.

what kind of games are you looking to play?

My budget dropped a bit, so I dropped my card to a 4890. After comparing a 5850 and a 4890 on tomshardware, I'm not even losing much in terms of performance while saving a hundred bucks. I mostly play TF2 and Age of Empires 2 for multiplayer, and single player RPG's otherwise. I'll play Fallout New Vegas when that comes out and probably replay some Dragon Age awhile.

hmm.. thats unfortunate... i think you are goign to regret it and i suggest you stay with at least a 5770, because its a Dx11 card. i dont think a 4890 is Dx11...

The 4890 would be powerful but it does not support newer technologies like DX11, OpenCL (possibly), DirectCompute, etc. The 5xxx series do, and if you want a card that will last a long time you would be much better off buying a card that has these technologies. I would recommend a 5770, 5830, 5850, or 5870 (or 5890 which is 5870x2 basically), as these cards are ATi's latest models that support DX11/OpenCL/etc.

The 4890 would be powerful but it does not support newer technologies like DX11, OpenCL (possibly), DirectCompute, etc. The 5xxx series do, and if you want a card that will last a long time you would be much better off buying a card that has these technologies. I would recommend a 5770, 5830, 5850, or 5870 (or 5890 which is 5870x2 basically), as these cards are ATi's latest models that support DX11/OpenCL/etc.

Basically what i said... haha.

In conclusion, you want a DX11 card, its whats next in the gaming world, being prepared for tomorrow, today. if you dont get a Dx11 card you will kick your self... i can promise you that.

Nah...a 4890 is a far better GPU at the end of the day. DX11 does not offer much at the moment....and won't for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom