$1200 - When to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the core i7s were released today... the price points are $285, $560 and $999 for the 920, 940 and 965 respectively... 920 runs at 2.66GHz, 940 runs at 2.93GHz and the EE runs at 3.2GHz with an unlocked multi... decent DDR3 memory (1600+, because thats where DDR3 starts to shine above DDR2) will cost you about $175 for 4GB at JEDEC standards, but 2x2GB performance sets (CAS 7, RAS 18) are at least $250 at the moment

but seriously guys, dont buy your nehalems yet... wait 2-3weeks and reap the rewards of plummeting yorkfield prices... the nehalems wont do noticabely better in any everyday computing tasks (especially not gaming... HT really kills nehalem there) except archiving and encryption (in a year or two there will be more multi threaded apps on which nehalem can thrive, so that'll be the time to grab them)... also they wont OC as well as "legacy" CPUs, and they've currently got a monster TDP of 130W, so you'll need a pretty dope cooler even at stock settings

the core i7s were released today... the price points are $285, $560 and $999 for the 920, 940 and 965 respectively... 920 runs at 2.66GHz, 940 runs at 2.93GHz and the EE runs at 3.2GHz with an unlocked multi... decent DDR3 memory (1600+, because thats where DDR3 starts to shine above DDR2) will cost you about $175 for 4GB at JEDEC standards, but 2x2GB performance sets (CAS 7, RAS 18) are at least $250 at the moment

but seriously guys, dont buy your nehalems yet... wait 2-3weeks and reap the rewards of plummeting yorkfield prices... the nehalems wont do noticabely better in any everyday computing tasks (especially not gaming... HT really kills nehalem there) except archiving and encryption (in a year or two there will be more multi threaded apps on which nehalem can thrive, so that'll be the time to grab them)... also they wont OC as well as "legacy" CPUs, and they've currently got a monster TDP of 130W, so you'll need a pretty dope cooler even at stock settings

This is amazing information and advice. I will definitely wait a few weeks for yorkfields to drop in price before grabbing my stuff. Thank you so much.

Bring on Deneb. It won't outperform Core i7's. But it will be a SWEET CPU for its pricing as well.

Want to see the CPU competition heat up a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom