1200 Dollar Rig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawmaterial

In Runtime
Anyone who is experienced enough to offer me the best possible performance for games with a 1200 setup. That is without shipping and no operating system. Thank you!

Peter

well you can either get a conroe or go am2. Personally i suggest you go am2. sure conroe sounds great and all but the motherboards are overpriced pieces of ****, and you need to get atleast a e6400 or else itsnot even conroe core, its allendale core. wich means half the cache. everybody is so pumped about the killer performance of the core 2 duo but once you really think about it, when are you ever going to need thatmuch performance? even a 3800+ can handle ANY game you throw at it at max settings if you have the right GPU. And amd has their next gen cpu in development wich will kick conroes ***. also the next gen amd will be compatiblewith the am2 motherboard. so you can upgrade in the future, and save some money. because of all of this i suggest you go with this..

DFI Lanparty am2 mobo
am2 4200+
7900GT
Seagate barracuda (great quiet reliable drives)
2gb ram of your choice

massacreinfallx said:
well you can either get a conroe or go am2. Personally i suggest you go am2. sure conroe sounds great and all but the motherboards are overpriced pieces of ****, and you need to get atleast a e6400 or else itsnot even conroe core, its allendale core. wich means half the cache. everybody is so pumped about the killer performance of the core 2 duo but once you really think about it, when are you ever going to need thatmuch performance? even a 3800+ can handle ANY game you throw at it at max settings if you have the right GPU. And amd has their next gen cpu in development wich will kick conroes ***. also the next gen amd will be compatiblewith the am2 motherboard. so you can upgrade in the future, and save some money. because of all of this i suggest you go with this..

DFI Lanparty am2 mobo
am2 4200+
7900GT
Seagate barracuda (great quiet reliable drives)
2gb ram of your choice

ahh, please use the button enter, the guy who made english also invented paragraphcs! what a clutter :classic: ok so i'll go sentence by sentence here and clear out the mess XD

1) true, with 1200$ You [post maker] can get either a Core 2 Duo and an AM2 powers machine.

2) Semi-True, motherboards for a Core 2 Duo CPU are overpriced as for the moment, BUT, they are pretty good now :D

3) not true at all, an E6400 is also Allendale, and Allendales are just as good as conroe, and they are actualy even designed the same only they had more space on-die on the allendales because it has less cache, that is all, its like an X2 3800 and X2 4400, more transistors in the X2 3800, more cache on the X2 4400, Allendale and "Conroe" are the same story.

4) Semi-True, buying a Core 2 Duo E6400 for 200~300$ [Dunno the US Price as of today] that will surpass an FX-62 with a mild overclock that any E6400 can achieve[the minimum record of an overclock on E6400/300 is 2.9GHz as I recon] is a big deal already, although in %'s we are talking about 15-20% increased performance which does not sound all that much.

5) Well, some people just want the extra performance, and it CAN help even for a regular PC user in some occasions that it has better performance resaults [although even on an AM2 X2 powerd machine you could also max out most games with a proper GPU]

6) That is life, you can't keep on waiting for the next gen on and on and on, get whats best now, don't wait for tomorrow to get whats best then, or you'll be waiting quite alot of days lol, and right now, whats best is a core 2 duo...

7) the AM3 CPU's WILL be backwards compatible with AM2 motherboard, but it will be like connecting a SATA drive that runs on 3.0GB/s on a SATA 1.5GB/s controller, you will lose half of the capabilities of the hard drive, which will ultimatly mean you will be wasting your money.

So I suggest you to get a core 2 duo E6400 or E6300 if you are not going to overclock [E6400 is better for overclocking because it has higher multiplier],

a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3,

whatever GPU [7600gt+ or x1800xt+],

2gb [or 1 at minimum, 2gb is not all that of a diffrence as of nowdays but soon more and more games will utilize 2gb] of RAM, DDR2-667Mhz+ [I suggest 800MHz on CAS4 at least],

and a 550w PSU like Antec TruePower II 550.

I Hope this posts will help both thread maker and Quote maker ;)

-Jo.

yeah i like Yoad's build a lot. definately go w/ 2gb if you can afford it though (with Cas 4 latency or lower) adn get it at either 667mhz or 800mhz if the price is right.

if you still have enough $ which you probably won't if you wanna get a monitor then get a 7900GT but if not then get a 7600GT. The 7900GT will just last you longer.

if you really wanted to you could get a SLI mobo and upgrade to 7600GT SLI later on but it's not quite 2x faster than one 7600GT.

is this rig including case, monitor, keyboard, OS...etc?

cuz if it is then i'd say to go AM2 (my rig was 1258.50 alltogether.)

i'm not trying to say my rig is the best build ever but it's a pretty **** good one for a budget gaming rig.

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom