1055T or i5 750 (and other stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

syrick

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, I'm planning to upgrade my PC, originally I wanted to just get more RAM, but the more I've looked at it, I will be getting more RAM, a new CPU and MoBo.

I'm trying to decide whether I should get the 1055T or the i5-750, I'm not really sure on how differently they will run and such. And as one is AMD and the other Intel, the MoBo I get will be dependent on that, but I was looking at the GA-890GPA-UD3H AMD or the GA-P55A-UD(something, not sure) for Intel. For RAM I am probably looking at 4 or 8gb, kinda leaning towards 8. Looking at Corsair, but what frequency and such I really am not sure what I should get, I guess 12000/1600?

I know that games tend to not really need the extra cores from what I've read, but I do a lot of rendering and multi-tasking, so Maya, Photoshop, Premiere, Mudbox, etc (normally along with movies or something, unless I'm rendering of course).

I've never had an AMD before so I'm a little clueless there.

If anyone can give me any advice on what I should get I would really, really appreciate it.

For those parts, it's looking like around $600 AUD

I would go with the i5 750, but that's just my opinion. I would look at an Asus or EVGA mobo. And I would look at memory from OCZ or G.Skill :D

I would go with the i5 750, but that's just my opinion. I would look at an Asus or EVGA mobo. And I would look at memory from OCZ or G.Skill :D

Whats the reason for going with those brands of mobo and ram?

As for the price, AMD: $270, Intel: $232.

Slay just likes them :p Gigabye and Biostar are also fine.

Since the 1055T has 6 cores it should perform better for your rendering and things that can take advantage of the two extra cores.

IMO I'd go with the 1055T, cheaper with around the same performance of the i5 750. AM3 boards are usually pretty cheap too, you can get SATA3 and USB 3.0 for much less, ~150 for AM3, while 1156 is usually closer to 200.

This looks like a good board
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

To save me making a new thread, I posted this on a different forum.

I'm buying a new mobo, ram, and cpu.

I'm going with AMD and Corsair.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1055T: $269.50
MoBo: Asus M4A89GTD-PRO-USB3: $207.90
RAM: 4gb Corsair DDR3 10800/1333 TW3X4G1333C9DHX: $184.80

Total: $662.20
Total if 8gb: $847.00
(8gb is really tempting and suggested by my father)

-all prices from centrecom.com.au

The main part I was hung up on was the ram, I wasn't sure if I should go for 1333 or 1600. I was reading lots of stuff, but the discussions went on about overclocking which I don't plan to do (cause I have no idea what to do).

Purpose: 3D rendering and multitasking, hence the cores.

I'm fairly certain, but not 100%, that it will work well with what I currently have. A small concern about the PSU and if it would be enough.

GPU: ATI 4850
PSU: Corsair HX 620w
HDD: 500gb Caviar Blue, 1TB Cavier Green (eSATA), 640gb Barracuda.

Sound good? Any disagreements? Any input at all? Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom