~$1000 Gaming PC, RAM suggestions needed. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Post ~$1000 Gaming PC, RAM suggestions needed.

I am currently building a desktop for Gaming/Media/Internet use. I need to maximize my price-to-performance, but still build a system powerful enough to handle almost anything I need. The unit will be part of an entertainment center, so it will be connected to a decent-sized TV.

Case – Antec 300
Motherboard – Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Processor – AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Memory - ???
Graphics Card – ATI HD5770
Opitical Drive – Sony Optiarc Black w/ Lightscribe
CPU Fan/Heatsink -???
PSU - ???

Internal Hard Drives
SSD (Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD 64GB)
HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB)

External Hard Drive
HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB)
Enclosure (Rosewill RX-358-S BLK(Black)

Questions;

1. Which memory would you recommend? I am trying to go for 2x2GB DDR3, with the possibility of upgrading to 4x2GB in the future if I ever deem it useful.

2. Which specific model of the Radeon 5770 would you suggest?

3.What would be a good CPU Cooler and PSU.

Feel free to make any suggestions regarding the parts I have already chosen. My decisions aren't completely final. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
__________________

VirtualStranger is offline  
Old 03-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 2,724
Default Re: ~$1000 Gaming PC, RAM suggestions needed.

1. yes, a 2x2gig kit of ddr3, 1333 or 1600mhz. some good brands would be ocz, g.skill, corsair, a-data.

2. any model should work. brands: sapphire, xfx, his, powercolor, asus, gigabyte.

3. a good cooler for the price; core contact freezer. psu; for a single 5770 get around a 500w psu to be safe and if you want to plan for the future to possibly run another 5770 in crossfire get a 600w+ to be safe. some reputable brands: antec, corsair, ocz, seasonic, silverstone.
__________________

Muffin Man is offline  
Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
I don't overclock
 
Fat.Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: offline
Posts: 3,326
Default Re: ~$1000 Gaming PC, RAM suggestions needed.

question, why an external hard drive?
Fat.Clown is offline  
Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Default Re: ~$1000 Gaming PC, RAM suggestions needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.Clown View Post
question, why an external hard drive?
I need portable storage space. All of my Media (Including Movies, Tv, Music, Game Files, Ect.) will be stored on it, I'm probably going to get rid of the Interal HDD entirely, or at least get a smaller one, as its starting to seem less useful than I had originally thought

If you are asking why it's on this list, its because i copied and pasted from an office document with a list of all of my components. I figured It wouldn't hurt to add more info.

Quote:
1. yes, a 2x2gig kit of ddr3, 1333 or 1600mhz. some good brands would be ocz, g.skill, corsair, a-data.

2. any model should work. brands: sapphire, xfx, his, powercolor, asus, gigabyte.
So brand does not matter at all? I might as well just get the best looking one?

Quote:
3. a good cooler for the price; core contact freezer. psu; for a single 5770 get around a 500w psu to be safe and if you want to plan for the future to possibly run another 5770 in crossfire get a 600w+ to be safe. some reputable brands: antec, corsair, ocz, seasonic, silverstone.
Thanks, I definitely need to ensure flexibility in the future, so I'll probably get a 600w.
VirtualStranger is offline  
Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 612
Default Re: ~$1000 Gaming PC, RAM suggestions needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualStranger View Post
I am currently building a desktop for Gaming/Media/Internet use. I need to maximize my price-to-performance, but still build a system powerful enough to handle almost anything I need. The unit will be part of an entertainment center, so it will be connected to a decent-sized TV.

Case – Antec 300
Motherboard – Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Processor – AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Memory - ???
Graphics Card – ATI HD5770
Opitical Drive – Sony Optiarc Black w/ Lightscribe
CPU Fan/Heatsink -???
PSU - ???

Internal Hard Drives
SSD (Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD 64GB)
HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB)

External Hard Drive
HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB)
Enclosure (Rosewill RX-358-S BLK(Black)

Questions;

1. Which memory would you recommend? I am trying to go for 2x2GB DDR3, with the possibility of upgrading to 4x2GB in the future if I ever deem it useful.

2. Which specific model of the Radeon 5770 would you suggest?

3.What would be a good CPU Cooler and PSU.

Feel free to make any suggestions regarding the parts I have already chosen. My decisions aren't completely final. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have already posted similar builds today.
Buying first gaming computer need help
Take a look at my first build suggestion on that thread.
I also suggest a CPU cooler, keyboard, and mouse at the bottom of the post.

#1 CASE CHOICE - Newegg.com - APEX Vortex 3620 SGCC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - Computer Cases
If I were you, I'd ditch the Antec 300, get an Apex Vortex 3620, it's a much nicer case for everything... (Except airflow...) UNLESS you add a couple fans, then it beats the 300 hands down. (It's $35 with free shipping and is a top tier mid tower.)
#2 PSU
Also, for a PSU, the Apex Vortex has NICE combo deals with Seventeam PSUs that I think you should look into.
Otherwise if you never plan on crossfiring a 500w OCZ ModXStream would work. If you plan on crossfiring in the future, go for a 600w+ PSU OCZ ModXstream would work.
(I suggest the OCZ PSUs because there are combo deals with optical drives to get them cheaper.)


#3 RAM

If I were you, I'd get the OCZ Black Edition RAM or some other RAM with either 1600Mhz CL8 or 1333 Mhz CL7 from a high end RAM company like Corsair, G. Skill, or Geil.


#4 GPU

Whichever 5770 you can combo cheapest.
(Avoid Diamond, go for Powercolor, Sapphire, ASUS, Gigabyte, XFX, HIS)

#5 CPU COOLER

As someone else suggested, go with the Core Contact Freezer by Sunbeam.
__________________
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Budget Gaming Rig.. Suggestions? gianflazaro New Systems | Building and Buying 4 02-10-2010 08:33 AM
Gaming Rig ... need mobo suggestions.... Graham New Systems | Building and Buying 3 01-11-2010 09:28 AM
Gaming Headset/Sound Card Suggestions? Guttzu New Systems | Building and Buying 3 08-29-2009 11:33 PM
RAM Install HELP NEEDED. Muzicvirus Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 3 03-04-2008 11:23 PM
Building Gaming PC. Tips Needed. ( im lost ) AhBeng New Systems | Building and Buying 40 09-21-2007 09:38 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.