£100 need more HDD space and redundancy/backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
What do you suggest? Currently I have a 80GB and 250GB HDD. The 80 is noisy so I will dispose of that.

I have had a few ideas myself
1) 4x 250GB in RAID 0+1.
2) 2x 500GB RAID1 or bi weekly auto backup.
3) 2x 250GB RAID0 and 500GB external backup.

1) is the most fun, can later be used in a all out RAID0 when I can afford a 1TB external. Fastest.
2) is RAID1 slow to write like I've heard?
3) seems most secure, but falls lose if I forget to plug in the external for backups. But if there is a fire I can run out the house with shortest detour by just picking the external up?

All offer 500GB of active storage.

What are your thoughts?

Trif.

RAID won't increase storage capacity but simply sees one drive mirror another. To get anywhere simply go for two 500gb drives with one being the host as a separate logical drive.

The current layout shows how a new WD Green Power 1tb internal sata drive will cover all storage needs fast and move Vista onto a larger drive.

250gb ide drive = Vista Home Premium
#1 500gb sata = XP Home
#2 500gb sata = current storage device /new home for Vista Home Premium

Eliminate one 250gb ide or use for Linux, Solaris, etc. there and see Vista go on the second 500gb model and see the new 1tb for storage. No fuss or problems seen when an array fails and all is lost!

RAID0 is.

I am leaning towards the 2x 250GB's and a external 500GB. In the event of a fire I can run out of the house with the ext. :p

Backing up things on an external drive shouldn't be any problem. I was considering one here rather then simply burning cd-rs whenever needing to download and install updates from one system to one being worked on. They can come in handy for getting things done.

For the average desktop arrays can be too fragile and not really utilize the full capacity of seeing two drives in a case. I simply took the matched sata models here and gave them each a different agenda seeing XP on one and file storage and backup on the other. Compainies are the ones that will see arrays most often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom