The $10,000 Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerijuana

Beta member
I'm going to have around 10 to 15k this summer to spend on a computer but I haven't built one in about 6 years. Need some advice on this computer I made a public wishlist for on Newegg. I'm not going to buy everything from newegg but it's a good place to post it all.

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
Total Cost is roughly $10,500

Let me know what you think.

Well, in honesty, only the revo drive doesnt make sense.

The mobo is overkill, and I don't think windows 7 will recognize 64Gig of ram does it?

All in all its a total waste

Well, in honesty, only the revo drive doesnt make sense.

The mobo is overkill, and I don't think windows 7 will recognize 64Gig of ram does it?

All in all its a total waste

It can recgonize upto 128 GB of total system ram. That includes GPU ram.

The first things that come to mind

-The revodrives can be a real pain to get working right, 4x Intel 520 series 240gb drives in RAID 0 will give you similar performance for far less money and headaches.

-Those monitors aren't good enough to justify that price imo, if you have that kind of money 3x Dell UltraSharp U2711's or U3011's are the only way to go. Not only are they much higher resolution but they are also professional quality IPS panels so you will get far better color accuracy and viewing angles.

I'm going to be honest: Spend ~$3,000 and you'll be set for about the same amount of time, and then can rebuild another $3,000 rig every three to four years and be set for even longer.. Computers become outdated way too quickly to justify a $10,000 rig.

After a brief look, you have 2 PCI cards listed, the sound card, and the wireless card. The motherboard you selected has exactly ZERO PCI slots, so that isn't going to work.

Also, you have a 16 outlet surge protector listed, and at max, with the components listed, you will be using about 4 of them. If you are going to be using the full 16 outlets, I sure hope that you had an electrician run a special circuit from your breaker box to whatever room you will have this in... Otherwise.... get ready to reboot a lot, and reset breakers a lot.

Additionally, with the 2 GPUs you selected, and 2 RevoDrives, and the TV tuner card. No matter HOW you arrange those cards, they take up 7 expansion slots, which will leave you with again ZERO available slots, so you will be using on-board audio, and some other means of setting up wireless networking.

PERSONALLY, if you are going to be spending this much on JUST a PC, sped a little bit of money, and get your house (or whatever) wired for internet. I wired my whole home with Ethernet and Coax, each room having a wall panel with 3 Ethernet and 1 Coax jacks. Each ethernet jack is operational at gigabit speeds (except I have 1 jack dedicated for phone, which can be changed to data in about 3 seconds by connecting it to the gigabit switch.) I then have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device in my LAN rack which connects to the gigabit switch, and has 4TB of capacity. See my sig for a link to the home wiring thread, and the details of my NAS box. The benefits of using this over a USB storage setup, is that I have media (pictures, videos, music) on the NAS which is accessable from my PS3, laptop, 2 different desktops, and my SONY TV in an 'on demand' fashion, and it doesn't require a PC to be powered on all the time to 'share' access to the device. Just saying...

Anyways, there is plenty of refinement you can do with this planned build to max out potential, and not use every cent of that $10,000 budget. Good Luck!

The first Revo drives were a pain, these 3rd iteration drives are pretty easy to use, but why 2?

Why not just go buy an Alienware lol.

There is still really no advantage to them vs multiple conventional drives in RAID and there's always the whole Intel vs OCZ quality thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom