1 Gig Or 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to play BF2 or FEAR without any hitches go with at least 1.5gb. I use over 1gb while playing both of them. I would just get the 2gb and then run them dual channel. But **** what do i know, im new to all of this.....

Before i got 4 gig's, i had 2*512, BF2 ran fine with no laggs, now it run smooth as ****:)

IT really depends, i like round numbers so i would never have 1.5 or 2.5gig of ram...1 gig ran fine with me...

gaara said:
I don't know why people have suddenly convinced themselves that they need anything more than 1GB.

battlefield_2_game_experience.gif

That enough?

gaara said:
My point is quite simple, you ask what people need 2GB for and most will respond "BF2"...you ask them for another example and most will go silent...I ask you if there is enough justification to buy extra memory for one game.

Well then you haven't been talking to many knowledgeable people. Most high-end games out right now will require your system to have 2GB of RAM to play them at max, and keep it like that. As the above graph shows, 512MB of RAM will run the game at 60-140fps, but for one second...the next second you'll be dropping down to 20fps. Take a look at the 2GB line. It looks almost straight compared to the 512MB line. RAM basically lets the processor access data in larger amounts. The lesser the RAM, the more the processor has to access the Hard Drive. That leads to performance drops.

As if that wasn't enough, the game itself need to use RAM simply to run. BF2 takes up anywhere from 600MB to 1GB of memory depending on your settings. Thats not counting the rest of the stuff that the system has to run, the OS, the 20 other programs that Windows needs, and any Anti-Virus or Music that might be running in the background. If you have 512MB memory, and you're running all that, its simply not enough. The memory isn't a human, it can't work twice as hard. The lesser memory also leads to performance loss, usually very noticable in games.

Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom