$1,500 First Time Build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default $1,500 First Time Build

I need a new computer and I've decided to build it to get the most for my money.

My budget is $1,500 and I want to be able to play new games on high settings. I have to buy a new monitor, mouse, and keyboard too.

Can you guys put together a build for me please because I don't know that much about computers.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: $1,500 First Time Build

I'm not so good at this but... here i go!

Intel I7 920 CPU
EVGA 121-BL-E756-TR mobo (Not so sure on this, don't take my word)
Corsair 850TX Power Supply
Radeon hd 5870 GPU
Windows 7 Pro OEM
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full tower case
Do you want a Blu-Ray Drive? are you going to be watching TV on this? do you want an HD monitor? do you need speakers?

$1500 should be enough to get a decent rig, and based on your description, you may want to spend a bit more on a Graphics Card and CPU, probably SLI or Crossfire for best performance. I don't always have the best advice, but there are others on the forum who can definitely help you further.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't want a blu-ray drive because i have a ps3, won't use it for tv either. I think I want an HD monitor, didn't know there was a difference to be honest and I have speakers already.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskooltoyz View Post
I don't want a blu-ray drive because i have a ps3, won't use it for tv either. I think I want an HD monitor, didn't know there was a difference to be honest and I have speakers already.
Well, the reason i ask if you want a blu-ray drive is because if you do, and you get a TV tuner card also you can burn HD shows (such as football games on basic cable channels) and watch them on a TV, and pretty much all monitors are HD now so that was probably a stupid question on my part.
It's hard to choose a monitor without looking at one in a store, but you could go based solely on specs and ratings. If you're not going to go all fancy with it, a monitor is personal preference so i can't help you there. While touch screen can be nice, it still has a long way to go before it's perfected, but it's still pretty nice if you have the money. As far as a CD Drive, you could easily find a decent one for under $50, depending on what you're gonna be using it for.A blu-ray could go for 200-ish, so it's up to you.

Do you intend on overclocking at all?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Acer P235Hbmid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000:1(ACM) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Computer Cases

total: $1488.91 + $10.63 shipping = $1499.54

you didn't say whether you needed an OS, but i've included one since it doesn't seem like you have anything towards this build. Only things missing are mouse + keyboard + opticals. It would hurt me to downgrade the 5870 to a 5850 just to include those minor parts... or from i7 to an i5... If you can't afford more than $1500 than i suggest you buy some used and really cheap mouse/keyboard/cd-drive until you have enough for decent stuff.

edit: forgot to mention there are $65 worth of mail-in rebates, so maybe you can buy those things when your rebates come
Old 02-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the suggestions aliasaid, I did need an OS btw. Also, I can spend a little extra for the mouse, etc. My budget is fairly flexible.

P.S. I forgot to mention, how much extra is a wireless adapter for wifi? If it's not too much I'd like to include that.

edit: Which optical drive do you recommend?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Wireless cards aren't much: Newegg.com - wireless card

Optical drives pretty much all do the job. Just make sure it is a dvd drive and that it is sata not ide. It would probably be hard to find something ide anymore anyway.
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 02-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

optical:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

mouse: it really depends on your personal choice here.. here are a few..
Newegg.com - Logitech LX3 Gray/Black 3 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical 1000 dpi Mouse - Mice
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GM-M6880 Metal Black USB Wired Laser 1600 dpi Gaming Mouse - Mice
Newegg.com - Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming Mouse - Mice
Newegg.com - RAZER ABYSSUS Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 3500 dpi High Precision Gaming Mouse - Mice
Newegg.com - NZXT AVATAR AVTR-001BL Black 7 Buttons USB Wired Optical 2600 dpi Gaming Mouse - Mice

keyboards: you can go through the list at newegg and pick the one that looks nicest. They're all generally good. Wired accessories are generally better for gaming. here's a couple basic keyboards you can look at.

Newegg.com - Microsoft BX1-00005 Silver/Black 105 Normal Keys 22 + 1 Zoom Slider Function Keys USB or PS/2 Wired Standard Digital Media Pro Keyboard - Keyboards
Newegg.com - Logitech 920-000021 Black 103 Normal Keys 11 Function Keys USB Standard Access Keyboard 600 - Keyboards

there are some accessories that are geared towards gaming that are quite expensive, but they're not necessary. Doesn't make much sense to be spending a whole lot on something like a keyboard.. unless you're a really hardcore gamer and you want to setup custom keys and things like that... other than that any basic keyboard will be good.

as for wireless adapter... do you want a USB one or a PCI one?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I chose the Logitech MX518 mouse and the Logitech keyboard.

I think I prefer the PCI adapter and I even picked out one:
Newegg.com - EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, AES - Wireless Adapters Is it alright?

And about the case, can it be any mid tower? Because I thought the Raidmax one was kind of ugly and prefer this one:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases It's cheaper too which is another reason I like it
Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

The only thing you need to check with the cases is that they'll fit all your parts (mainly gotta worry about your Graphics card and your Motherboard).

I think you'll be fine with that case though.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread