1,200 dollar card?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
video editors could jus stick with onboard video or get a gaming video card cause i use an x300 in my old computer and i dont have any problems except for games.... are graphic programs that demading?

Developpers using onboard cards, haha. CAD programs can take up monster graphics card power to process the images or 3d renders, so they need special cards (not sure how the mechanics work) to process the images.

To the thread starter, unless you friend uses CAD programs, hes an idiot and you can tell him your 6800gt beats him in most games.

I think it has something to do with the fact that workstation cards have to raster the image rather then use software (like opengl or d3d) to get preloaded calculations. I dont know exactly how it works but it's something along those lines.

$1200 is nothing, some retail workstation graphics cards can go up to $9000! And don't let me start on the industrial stuff that you never hear about, costing $50 000 and up.

Very simply put:

Workstation Cards are built for Precision and Accuracy. (Video Editting, Auto Cad, 3D Rendering, Graphic Design...etc...

Gaming Cards are built for Speed and Performance (Obviously Video Games)

Also like someone else said, "The drivers are completely different."

Ya Workstation cards are quite different... tho Nvidia does have a few that can perform as a graphics card as well as a workstation card.

Also, 3D programs may not seem demanding, but when you have a couple hundren million polygons in a scene, and your animating characters, it would murder a card...

open gl.. does that mean it can manhandle doom3! thats one of those open gl games.... haha, anywho... it would be nice if i could get a hand on one of those and 3dstudiomax.. and a tutor to teach me as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom