Your Opinion Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis1331

Baseband Member
I know I'm going to probably annoy some people with this thread but I've searched and searched the topics around but cannot find the exact answers I'm looking for so...

I'm building a PC that I will be using for personal gaming (not alot of LAN or internet gaming), some Auto/ArchiCAD and 3D work and mainly Music, Video, Multimedia type stuff.

Here is a list of components I'm Looking at so far:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+ Skt939 512KB Cache
Motherboard: MSI RS482M4-L
Memory: 2x OEM 512MB DDR 400MHz (PC3200)
HDD: Seagate 160GB 8MB SATA - Barracuda 7200.7, ST3160027AS, 7200 RPM
Videocard: XpertVision GF 6600GT 256MB 128bit DDR3, DVI, TV-Out, HDTV support, PCI Express X16 interface

What do you think of those parts? Brands and performance wise?

Most of the other components I've taken care of already.
I much appreciate any info/opinions you have. Thank you

as you have not mentioned you will be gaming i would say the 6600gt is overkill. perhaps downgrade it to a vanilla 6600 (not GT) or even lower and put more money into the cpu as it seems you are going to be rendering and doing multimedia work. perhaps look at a dual core processor. if not you could put some money towards 2gb of ram which would be useful for rendering

Definitely go for a dual core AMD, thats what makes AMD so good now, they can also multi task better than Intel because of the Dual cores. And if you gonna be gaming urself and a lil on the net. definitely stick with that card. Get more ram, or preferablly Dual Channel ram. Everything else looks prety good.

He said that he was going to be doing personal gaming, right? So if you are going to be gaming, that card would work, but i would spend 50 more dollars and get a 6800 gs. dual core is great! I have the 3800 x2 and today i decided to open like 20 programs like photoshop and stuff like that, and it didnt lag at all. woot! - charlie

dang! I wish you didn't live in australia. I just ordered an opty 165 and was looking to sell my 3200+ venice, but it looks like you might get convinced to go dual core? The price difference is pretty vast though. Cheapest dual cores are like $300+ USD and the 3200+ venice by now is probably $160 USD or under.

I have no idea how much it'd be to ship over there though, plus I'd be paranoid of it getting lost.

Dang it! Move to the US :p

Well now... thanks alot for your info guys. I'll have to look into the dual core I think, and I'm guessing that if I cant afford it now, upgrading a little later is always possible...right?

Provided the dual core would fit in the socket on your mobo, yeah. In all honesty though, it'll be alot cheaper to just start with what you need to begin with. If you don't need the computer right away, I'd wait till you had the money to get the dual core flat out, so you don't end up with a fairly expensive processor that you can't use anymore just kinda sitting around on a shelf

Wait till summer for better stuff to come out, that will mave the prices go down on the lower models.

I woulf say get the 6800GS.
Don't go dual core, it's a waste of money for now. Almost any game can be run at high specs with a 3700+ and still not lag.

Your budget is about 800$?

For my entire system my budget is about $2kAUD max at the moment. For the parts I listed at the top and all the other parts I need... I've got a system to cost around
$1700AUD. Some parts over the net and some from the local store.

Also can anyone tell me if I were to go with 2GB ram, what's a good brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom