XP or Vista Basic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
There's a good deal at Dell for basic computer with Athlon 64 processor and 512 MB memory. This is for my aunt and she is not going to do anything advanced at all - internet, word processing, online basic games, email, watch a DVD....

My question is, should I get XP or Vista Basic? Will Vista Basic run on this machine?

If you were me, what would you do? Go with the "tried and true" XP, or get the "latest and greatest" Vista Basic?

With only 512 RAM, go with XP. Odds are you're going to be her tech support, so go with what you know. Besides, a lot of things still don't have drivers for Vista.

Well, I'm not going to "build" myself...too much of a hassle, but I appreciate the thought.

Dell has a system with Athlon and 512 MB, and they give you the option to get either XP or Vista Basic. Seems like a shame to not take the "newer" operating system since its same price, but I guess with the power requirements of Vista, looks like XP is probably smarter choice.

But since Vista Basic doesn't have "aero", would memory requirements still be high? Or would Basic run on 512 MB?

lol too much hassle it will take an hour max and depending on your budget you could save quite a bit of money. my computer in my sig would of cost £2,600 from dell that is $5,200 an di would of got added extras like a keyboard, mouse cheapest monitor, cheapest tech support, less harddrive and a limited bios so that I couldn't overclock my processor I payed around £1,400 thats $2,800 dollars and built it myself

The computer I want to get is $400. And I get a one year warranty. I don't have the time to build one.....

I think this is a great deal, for just a basic system. My aunt can use it for a year or two, and then buy a new one with Vista when all the kinks are worked out and it's cheaper:

This goes for $379:

Processor AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3600+
Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
Memory 512MB Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 1DIMM
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard
Monitor 17 inch E177FP Analog Flat Panel
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
Hard Drive 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢
Floppy Drive and Media Reader No Floppy Drive Included
Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Modem No Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
CD ROM/DVD ROM 16X DVD ROM Drive
Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No Productivity software pre-installed
Security Software No Security Subscription
Digitial Music No Digital Music Software Requested
Digital Photography Corel Snapfire Basic - Organize and Edit your photos
Warranty & Service 1 Year On-site Economy Plan
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS No ISP requested
Miscellaneous E521
Purchase Intent Purchase is not intended for resale.
Labels Windows XPâ„¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom