XFX 8800GS Alpha Dog Edition Review and Fan Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital_Jedi

In Runtime
So I got my new card and was putting it through its paces yesterday. The cards specs. are shown here....

Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16
GPU GeForce 8800 GS
Core clock 680MHz
Stream Processors 96
Memory Clock 1600MHz
Memory Size 384MB
Memory Interface 192-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
DirectX DirectX 10
OpenGL OpenGL 2.0
Ports
DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video Out
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
RoHS Compliant Yes
SLI Supported Yes
Cooler With Fan
System Requirements Minimum Power Supply Requirement: 400 Watt
Power Connector 6 Pin
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
HDCP Ready Yes

The games I ran through it were, Mercenaries 2, STALKER : Clear Sky, COD4, World in Conflict, Crysis, Mass Effect, and Team Fortress 2. Of the Games listed.... it only has some trouble with STALKER and Crysis. Stalker was set on high with some sliders set to low end settings and volumetric lighting off. Crysis is playable on a High to Medium High with the resolution turned down and no AA. the other games were all cranked up except Merc. 2 and COD 4 where AA was set to only X2. Overall this is a great card. It runs warm, 47C at idle and 53C after an hours play of Crysis. Make sure you have the room to put it in your computer... I had to move a hard drive to make room. The price ($85) is great for what you get. It is a great budget 8800 series card. The only con is the noise... its twice as loud as my old 7600GT. I have 5 fans in my case not including the the PSU and CPU. And when I crank up the two 80mm in hate front, it sounds like a freaking tornado in my room. If anyone has a suggestion on some really good 80mm fands that are quiet but push a lot of air, that would be great... same goes for my MM in the back. Thanks!!

I have an xfx 8600 gs in my computer right now and it get's the job done for all the games I play (Warcraft 3, CoD4, Unreal Tournament Anthology, CS:S, ect)

What kind of FPS do you get in CoD4?

PS next time post pictures!

I believe that I get 40 - 50 FPS... min at around 20 something. I don't know for sure. I would love to pos a picture but I can't seem to upload them to the forum.

I have an xfx 8600 gs in my computer right now and it get's the job done for all the games I play (Warcraft 3, CoD4, Unreal Tournament Anthology, CS:S, ect)

What kind of FPS do you get in CoD4?

PS next time post pictures!

I have the regular xfx 8800gs overclocked to the xxx's speed and I get ~60fps on most servers at 1440x900 with 2xaa and af.

^^ Your most likely not running at the same resolution and probably don't have on anti aliasing. I'm sure I get higher fps in single player to but I have never measured it.

Run 3dmark 06 and see what score you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom