X850pro and bottlenecking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBD

In Runtime
I was told that my X850pro would bottleneck my computer(sig), But that's OK because I was told this before I got it ;) I am going to upgrade to 2x 1GB of ram.
My ram is pc2700 and 2 x1GB of pc3400 is dam near the same price so I was going to get the pc3400 (i know it will only run at pc2700)

What is a good but cheap AMD processor and mobo that would not bottleneck the X850pro? Don't get me wrong I am very happy with my gaming performance:D But I noticed on my mobo it says FSB 333MHz:( So I wanted to check some stuff out.

You don't have to tell me to build a new computer with pci-e and a "nvidia XXXX" because I am going to in a couple months:D

Thanks for the help:)

Are you saying, The X850pro AGP wouldn't perform much better in a faster computer?

How much of a performance gain will I see playing BF2 with 2GB's of ram? Will it improve the FPS?

In BF2, you might see a slight improvement with 2 gigs of ram. It's kindof overkill unless you're going to be running other programs in the background. Do you currently have 1gb of ram? That X850 is right on par with an Athlon 3000+. Oh, and by the way, if you're going to need a buyer for that processor when you upgrade, let me know!

Ryan

Thanks FghtinIrshNvrDi:D

O.K. I will let you know when I upgrade:)

Yes I have 1GB now. I am getting 30 to 80 FPS in BF2. I was thinking If I had 2GB of ram it would at least improve the low end of my FPS, like 50 to 80 FPS. Is this what it will do?

It runs pretty smooth in BF2, but when it lags, 1/2 the time I can hear my hard drive load, Will more ram help this?

I also have a new WD250GB hard drive with 8 MB cache set as the slave, My other hard drive is a 2 year old WD160GB that came with my computer, I think it's only 2MB cache, How do I find out the cache size?

My understanding of speeding things up, I need to have the faster hard drive with the bigger cache set as the Main?=(not the slave) For faster load times and smoother gaming. Is this true? should I switch them?

More Ram. I just added another gig to my pc, and it runs BF2 and Quake4 much better. Adding more memory will redude the dependency on the hard drive during game play.

a little bit of ram will stop all that load time and your hard drive will run less while you are playing. But you're not going to see a big improvement in FPS when you are upgrading RAM.

Ryan

Thanks for the help guys:D

Should I switch my hard drives around and put slower one as the slave or will it not make a difference between 8MB cache and 2MB cache?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom