X2 4200+ or Core 2 Duo ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's not going to overclock then the 4200 X2 is fine and would beat the E4300.

Just look at the benchmark you posted, the 4200+ X2 doesn't beat E4300, even without overclocking.

But I agree that 4200+ is better for the price

Oopsies, my fault I read the first few benchmarks and figured there wasn't any hope... guess not! (now that I read the entire thing lol, I apoligize) The E4300 does offer some large performance increases over the 4200 in a few games, though they were pretty close in others. The 4200 is cheaper by a good $60 dollars so If your overclocking go E4300 if not, both would be a good choice. (that is my final answer and I will attempt to restrain myself from any further comment, for better or worse)

I'm not degrading the X2 at all I was merely displaying info about the c2d since most of the people who posted seemed to be recommending the X2.

Yeah, it's usually quite the opposite: people usually scream "core 2 duo!!".

As for Meithan, a 70% performance gain is enormous, absolutely behemoth and I don't know where you got that number.

It is behemoth, that was my point. The 70% increase in performance that I mentioned is based on the price difference ($70) between the E4300 and the X2 4200+: since the Allendale is 70% more expensive, it should naturally be 70% more powerful. If not, then the Athlon has a better performance/price ratio.

the E4300 seems to be designed around maximizing overclockability and can easily get the 70% performance gain if you include that.

Yeah, as the article proves, you can squeeze even 100% more performance out of the E4300 - and it remains stable! These chips sure are monster overclockers. I think Intel didn't plan it, though, but it sure came out very nice.

However, it's still unfair to compare a fully overclocked E4300 to a stock X2 4200+. I seriously doubt the Athlon can be overclocked that far, but consider it already has a decent head start in price. This means the Athlon can stay competitive with even a small overclock.

If he's not going to overclock then the 4200 X2 is fine and would beat the E4300.

I agree 100%. If he's overclocking, on the other hand, it depends on what he wants: if it's rough power, then the Core 2 Duo line is the way to go; if it's bang-for-the-buck, then the Athlons are a better choice, at least in the under-$200 price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom