Which would you choose for a vid card - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Which would you choose for a vid card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Didn't do a lot of gaming over the summer but now I'm single and saving for a house so a lot more time home, I picked up fallout 3 with all the expansions for $20 and will get New Vegas for the same price after I'm finished and a group of friends all have COD so I got it, 470 plays it ok res but would be nice to get all the extra with a higher frame rate soo now I'm looking at the upgrades. Gaming is a great way to NOT going out spending all the money on women..... Although women ARE more fun lol but games are much cheaper.....
Just recently single myself and finally got myself a job after being held back for almost 2 years straight. So I've been putting in a ridiculous amount of hours for OT to buy things. Bought myself a new car, my son some more Christmas presents, and had a lot planned for my PC. Since I got my car, I don't want to spend anymore on my computer.

I've never been one to spend a ton on women. I see all women who think they need material items to be paid for by the man as gold diggers in their own right. This I absolutely do not tolerate. Don't confuse this with 'spoiling'. I have no problems spending a certain amount of cash on any significant other, but if they need things...big fat nope.
Goes the other way too. If they blow a ton of their own cash on pointless **** I would never last with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyor View Post
You don't really even need that much to run ghosts the 7870 runs everything max with no problem so I bet the 770 would run everything max in bf4
Ghosts has the graphics fidelity of like Blops 2. I'm surprised he needs something more than 470 to crank it up.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

My 470 runs it pretty well but I've always liked maxing everything out, OK I'm self spoiled lol, As for the women, I'm with you about the gold diggers, I was talking more about taking them out, I'm a tad old fashioned and insist to pay when I take a woman out, it's the dating looking for the good one that is expensive so I've chosen to stay single until I find a house, otherwise I'll never have a down payment lol.

Dauntae

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
My 470 runs it pretty well but I've always liked maxing everything out, OK I'm self spoiled lol, As for the women, I'm with you about the gold diggers, I was talking more about taking them out, I'm a tad old fashioned and insist to pay when I take a woman out, it's the dating looking for the good one that is expensive so I've chosen to stay single until I find a house, otherwise I'll never have a down payment lol.

Dauntae
I haven't installed it to see what I get so I can't really comment further. Not that interested TBH.

I pay for dates as well, I just don't go out that much because I'd rather spend time with my son rather than give some bimbo a free meal and ride in my GT. LOL

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I would strongly consider looking at the R9 280X for $299. It's much faster than the GTX 760 and GTX 770 and comes smack dead in between them two cards in terms of price. Battlefield 4 is getting Mantle support, and Infinity Ward already stated "they have no choice but to adopt Mantle". So really AMD is the way to go this day in age. The R9 280X already out performs both the 760 and 770. Once Mantle drops you can expect another potentially 10%+ gain in performance. It is true a R9 280X is only a rebadged HD 7970. Tho it is much cheaper for a non-reference design and has built in TrueAudio support (dedicated audio decoder). Tho in all honesty, you need to upgrade the heart of your machine as well. That old Q9550 isn't going to offer all too good gaming performance even with it madly overclocked. The IPC of my A10-6800k probably nearly exceeds it clock for clock at this point in time. Time for a new build?
Warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
I would strongly consider looking at the R9 280X for $299. It's much faster than the GTX 760 and GTX 770 and comes smack dead in between them two cards in terms of price. Battlefield 4 is getting Mantle support, and Infinity Ward already stated "they have no choice but to adopt Mantle". So really AMD is the way to go this day in age. The R9 280X already out performs both the 760 and 770. Once Mantle drops you can expect another potentially 10%+ gain in performance. It is true a R9 280X is only a rebadged HD 7970. Tho it is much cheaper for a non-reference design and has built in TrueAudio support (dedicated audio decoder). Tho in all honesty, you need to upgrade the heart of your machine as well. That old Q9550 isn't going to offer all too good gaming performance even with it madly overclocked. The IPC of my A10-6800k probably nearly exceeds it clock for clock at this point in time. Time for a new build?
We've already been over the 280x.

Access to my Plex PM me.