Would like some opinions on new comp i'm building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleeckkk

Baseband Member
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...&WishListTitle=..............................

Currently I'm on a socket 954 Athlon 64 3400+ with a Radeon 9800 pro. I've done alot of research in comparison to the geforce 7900gt and that x1900gt and it seems to be of a better value for the money and more than what I'll need for quite awhile considering that my 9800 holds up pretty well to games like doom3 and oblivion already and when not I can always add another card. I'm pretty much sold on everything in the list and am gonna order it soon, I would just like to know what the general population of computer people think. It's been awhile since I've been active in any tech community so I'm not quite sure what the trends or popular point of views are.

Thanks! ...And I hope the link works, it's been awhile since I've used BB code.

opinions? Got all kinds :D

I see you don't have a PSU or an operating system in there.

Optical drive: spring for another $11 and get this one. It is a burner and can do DVD-ROM.
Newegg.com - LG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE Super-Multi DVD Burner - OEM

RAM: the XMS ain't all that great. Buy this for a buck less.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail

Hard drive: good drive. This one is a little better, and cheaper.
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The X1900GT is a sweet card. Plus, it can run FOLDING@Home (hint, hint).

Oh, and the site automatically parses URLs for you. But if you want to be able to use BBCode without worries, get the BBCodeXtra extension for Firefox. ;)

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have a PSU and OS already, among other things. It has 2 GBs of RAM. I've had problems with seagates being really noisy before, have they fixed that?

Thanks and keep them coming!

EDIT: In any case with that price difference and a 16mb cache I'm going for the seagate now, thanks. I had forgotten all about them in my search. And with that in mind I can now get the burner too, I'm on a 1k budget including shipping.

My Seagate is whisper quiet. Besides, with the fans on that case, you won't be able to hear it anyway. :D

You list looks pretty good. The 5600+ beats a stock e6300 in all the bench marks I've seen. The only thing you have that I'm not a big fan of is the x1900. In benchmarks a the x1900gt is about par with the 7900gt, but when you compare the 7900gt and the x1900gt SLI V.S. Crossfire nvidia whipes the floor with the ATI card. Crossfire just hasn't got there yet. There is about a 100 dollar price difference, but if you are planning on adding another card in the future I would pay the money up front and go with the Nvidia. Plus Nvidia's driver support is leaps and bounds better than ATI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom