stainer711

In Runtime
Worth investing into DX10 with this pc?

I built my pc a little under a year ago with the following specs:

7800gt 256 mb graphics card (vanilla)
1 gig of corsair dual channel ram
amd athlon 3700+ processor
450 watt antec psu

I am pretty disappointed with its performance. I get about 6900 marks on 3dmark05, but my framerates in games like cs: source get down into the 20-40 fps range often. I wanted a pc that could run such games flawlessly. I have installed new drivers, defragged, etc, etc. I believe that the graphics card is to blame because I tested it in two different high end pcs including the one I have now and yielded the same frame rates. I just hope that by having this card in my pc I have not somehow damaged the pc or burned it out so that a better graphics card won't help.

When the DX10 cards come out will my current pc be able to utilize it them fully? Will it be worth the purchase?

Maybe I should just buy a current gen graphics card and hope that it solves my framerate issues? Four months is a long time to wait.

Here is the card I plan on getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130034

So i'll be going from:

400MHZ/1.0 GHZ

To:

560MHZ/1.5 GHZ

That graphic card is a nice choice. You might want to get another gig of ram too, because later on you might need it.

Strange, I have a 7800GT CO SE at 470/1100 and I run any game flawlessly and my 3dMark05 score is around 7450...

CSS shouldn't be a problem for you unless there is lag on the server. That was a last gen game, you should be able to max it out at 1600x1200 even and not see framerate problems.

Nevertheless, the 7800GT is starting to show its age in current games. I would not get the 7900GT KO. I would suggest waiting for the 7950GT which comes out in September. I am very interested in its benchmarks. It may end up being a decent upgrade from the aging 7800GT if it competes well with the X1950XT. If you must buy now, get an ATI X1900XT. It is currently the best bang for the buck card.

Being as they are releasing yet another refresh of the 7 series and X1 series, i have a hard time believing that DX10 is as close as we all thought it was. Therefore, I would suggest choosing a card from this next refresh and it should last you a while.

stainer711 said:
I built my pc a little under a year ago with the following specs:

1 gig of corsair dual channel ram

Sounds like u know enough about PCs ... im surprised u only have 1gb of memory...u def need to invest in another gig of RAM, u will notcie a difference...also if you havent tried a reformat and reinstall that may help...IMO that card should perform well enough still....im using a 6800gs overclocked and with some tweaking, I am playin FEAR, BF2 /Farcry very well...

Dual core would not affect it THAT much, now the extra 1 gig may, but only if he has alot of programs running in the background hogging the memory.

Oh and the ONLY games I have run into that I cannot max out and get at LEAST 50+ FPS are Oblivion and Tomb Raider Legends (friend let me try it out to see how my video card would handle) and on those I just have to remove most shadows and it fixes them, however Oblivion still lags out in the open, I need to move down some of the grass distance on it, and if I move it to Bloom instead of HDR, BOOM no more lag and im over 60 FPS no matter where I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom