Worth upgrading?

No I mean even at 1440p, in some games Ryzen smashes them, while in others, it's sorta like, mehhhh. But the inherent problem is if 1440p becomes the new standard, then 27 inch monitors become the new standard size instead of 24 inch. Which means, average folks are gonna need bigger desks XD
No because see above.

I'm sitting here spamming refresh on my courier tracking for the 1070... hurry up already D::: (It's in my city, it's just being driven around while the driver delivers other parcels)

It'll get there when it gets there. Most of the time I do that **** comes DOA cause I'm impatient but I have terrible luck.

Ok, 1070 is in, also gave the case a much needed blow out with a MetroVac DataVac. Did a quick game of BF1 before I had to go to class, and it appears to still be low framerates, but this is now on Ultra. It spikes between 40-90 fps depending on the area. I'll have to try it with nothing on my other monitor, and no other programs open to see if that helps the CPU a bit.

If things don't improve, I'll be buying that Xeon, because I know that'll help.

Last edited:
Close all other programs and directdraw/d3d apps because it could be using RAM too. Remember, I did 4 core with one Titan X Maxwell and I didn't have low frames all maxed. My CPU is also older than yours but I have 32GB of RAM.

I think I found a major culprit. There's a program that I was using called GlassWire that monitors network activity and records the amount of data I'm using so that I can keep an eye on my daily usage. It was using up to 25% of my CPU in some instances. So, I uninstalled it and gave BF1 another go, and frames shot up to 80-100 fps (which is quite reasonable). I'm considering lowering the eye candy and seeing just how far I can push the fps (I'm now seriously considering that 144 Hz monitor if I can get BF1 to 130ish fps)

I think I found a major culprit. There's a program that I was using called GlassWire that monitors network activity and records the amount of data I'm using so that I can keep an eye on my daily usage. It was using up to 25% of my CPU in some instances. So, I uninstalled it and gave BF1 another go, and frames shot up to 80-100 fps (which is quite reasonable). I'm considering lowering the eye candy and seeing just how far I can push the fps (I'm now seriously considering that 144 Hz monitor if I can get BF1 to 130ish fps)
You're going to be hard pressed due to CPU bottleneck which wouldn't be alleviated regardless of processor.

You're going to be hard pressed due to CPU bottleneck which wouldn't be alleviated regardless of processor.

Sad :( I'm looking at grabbing a 500 GB 850 EVO as well, then I can put BF4 back on my SSD, which will allow me to play that too. There are still a few BF4 servers lying around that people play on.

Try playing the latest DLC man, tonnnnes of CQC there my friend [emoji14]

While yes you're correct that 1440p would reduce the load on my CPU, 1440p monitors are usually only found in 27 inch variants or higher, and they're usually expensive ASF. So unless you're willing to throw a couple of hundred US my way, even I can't afford a $700+ monitor right now.

I have money, but I can't spend it all on tech hardware, as much as I'd like to lol.
I just ordered a 32" hp 1440 monitor from overstock for $320.

Back
Top Bottom