Worth upgrading?

luke127

The Ghost
Hey guys, so my system build is a couple of years old now, and so I'm wondering if you think this upgrade is necessary, and what kind of performance boost I can expect to see from it.

CPU: i5 4460
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary Motherboard
RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3
Storage: 256 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
GPU: GTX 970

CPU: i5 7600K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2133C13 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4 Motherboard
GPU: GTX 1070
Storage: Same as above (I may look at getting a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 drive)

Is it worth the upgrade overall?

Cheers,
Luke

Why do you want to upgrade?

SSD? sure...
maybe a power supply or more ram, but anything else wouldn't be worth it for a few years...

Look at the sigs of some folks on here... 2nd gen, 3rd gen, 1st gen INTEL; Older AMD chips still truckin right along. H3II I'm still sportin a 3rd gen intel myself. :p

Those folks of course are not you, so...

I guess the best question to ask is what are you doing with the rig? Are you still gaming or have you jumped hardcore into coding?

If you're gaming, I'd get the best GPU you can and stick with the Haswell i5. I just put a 1080 in my roomies machine and he had a 970. I didn't tell him and he noticed immediately lol (stock CPU, 4690k).

If you're not gaming, I'd get an R7 1700 or R5 1600 (when the R5 is out) and an X370 board.

To the SSD, forget M.2 right now, kinda pointless unless you get a big SATA one or cheaper more affordable PCI-E one.

err, Samsung 960 EVO 256 GB is only $40 more expensive than the 850 EVO. That's pretty good considering the IO speeds are more than tripled lol.

I was just worried about the 4460's clock speed being a bit on the low side. Figured if I updated to something with a bit more oomph, I might be able to get some more performance out of the system. The main issue was that I was worried that the 1070 would be bottlenecked by the 4460.

Also @Nukem, all the systems in people's sigs have processors that are overclockable. The 4460 is not unlocked, and so I'm stuck to stock clocks.

Edit: While playing BF1, I watched my task manager CPU output. I was getting 100% CPU on all 4 cores consistently across the board on all maps. Even when I lowered my graphics quality, my fps was still choppy, though it was slightly better. I'll have to test it with the 1070 to see if it's purely the GPU causing the issue, or if it's the CPU that's partially to blame.

Last edited:
rr, Samsung 960 EVO 256 GB is only $40 more expensive than the 850 EVO. That's pretty good considering the IO speeds are more than tripled lol.
I know Aus prices are insane, but exactly what size 850 Evo? Because here a 512GB 960 is the same price as a 1TB 850 Evo. Also, you won't notice the difference in speed or IOPS with real world usage.

I was just worried about the 4460's clock speed being a bit on the low side. Figured if I updated to something with a bit more oomph, I might be able to get some more performance out of the system. The main issue was that I was worried that the 1070 would be bottlenecked by the 4460.

Also @Nukem, all the systems in people's sigs have processors that are overclockable. The 4460 is not unlocked, and so I'm stuck to stock clocks.
My 1240v5 isn't unlocked. If you want I can test a 1080 with my 3960x at stock in BF1 but I have 1440p UW. It'll be more GPU dependent than if you have 1080p.

Edit: While playing BF1, I watched my task manager CPU output. I was getting 100% CPU on all 4 cores consistently across the board on all maps. Even when I lowered my graphics quality, my fps was still choppy, though it was slightly better. I'll have to test it with the 1070 to see if it's purely the GPU causing the issue, or if it's the CPU that's partially to blame.
IIRC Carnage has a 4690k stock with a 1070 and has no issues. His CPU has always been pegged in most AAA titles. Most programs are programmed to utilize only 4 cores and that's not always a bad thing if your CPU is actually being used.

I know Aus prices are insane, but exactly what size 850 Evo? Because here a 512GB 960 is the same price as a 1TB 850 Evo. Also, you won't notice the difference in speed or IOPS with real world usage.

My 1240v5 isn't unlocked. If you want I can test a 1080 with my 3960x at stock in BF1 but I have 1440p UW. It'll be more GPU dependent than if you have 1080p.

IIRC Carnage has a 4690k stock with a 1070 and has no issues. His CPU has always been pegged in most AAA titles. Most programs are programmed to utilize only 4 cores and that's not always a bad thing if your CPU is actually being used.

The research I've done indicates that BF1 LOVES more cores, but not necessarily more threads. More threads helps than just having 4 cores, but 8 actual cores seems to be the way to go for max BF1 performance. The 8 core broadwell CPU was smashing quad core CPUs for frame rates (same GPU was used across the board, was a Titan XP)

Samsung 850 EVO 256GB = $135 AUD
Samsung 960 EVO 256 GB M.2 = $180 AUD

The research I've done indicates that BF1 LOVES more cores, but not necessarily more threads. More threads helps than just having 4 cores, but 8 actual cores seems to be the way to go for max BF1 performance. The 8 core broadwell CPU was smashing quad core CPUs for frame rates (same GPU was used across the board, was a Titan XP)

Samsung 850 EVO 256GB = $135 AUD
Samsung 960 EVO 256 GB M.2 = $180 AUD
I have 6 cores and use maybe 40% tops. The 7700k in benchmarks still wins due to clockspeed. I'm guessing whatever you were looking at had it clocked high.

Edit: This shows that it's mainly core clocks making a slightly higher average framerate in BF1 rather than cores. In any game that's going to push good framerates in 1080p core clock can help. Even the 2500k is still bringing in 115fps average with a TXP. Even an i3 handles it quite well.

Last edited:
So in other words, my 4460 which is a full GHz behind something like an overclocked i7 4770k (4.3 GHz) is really struggling to keep up... lol

So in other words, my 4460 which is a full GHz behind something like an overclocked i7 4770k (4.3 GHz) is really struggling to keep up... lol
A 4460 which is about 10% faster clock for clock than a 2500k should achieve higher than the 115fps average with a TXP which I'd say is hardly struggling.

We'll have to see how the 1070 performs in this PC then. If I don't have to upgrade my processor, I'll be putting that cash into a 144 Hz monitor.

Back
Top Bottom