Is this worth it? Should I change anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwazzi

Beta member
Hi, I'm new.

Made this account to ask this question.

Here is the build...

3.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 6MB Cache FSB 1333
Masscool Quiet W553B1M3 26.2dBA
ASUS P5QL Pro (Intel P43, PCIEx, 8-Channel Audio, LAN, 4xSATA2, 4xDDR2, 1333FSB)
4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300
22X LG Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/CDRW w/Nero
Xion Black Solaris XON-403 (4 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 2 Fans, Window, Front Audio/USB
500watt Antec EarthWatts EA500
Onboard LAN included
Wireless B/G/N PCI Adapter
Onboard Sound included

$570.00

Is this worth buying? Would you change anything? Would you take away something that I might not need?

I'm trying to play games like Counter Strike Source and other FPS's and maybe some MMORPGs.

I would love examples of the FPS I'm going to get with this build.

Thanks!

edit:

By the way, the OS will most likely be Vista Basic and I plan on getting a fairly cheap 5ms monitor.

EDIT: Geez, how can I forget the graphics card.

VGA HIS H467QT512P HD4670 512M RT

Merged your posts together. Don't double post, just edit the first one, alright?

Home Basic costs maybe 10 bucks less than Home Premium. It's worth spending the extra 10 bucks, and make sure you get the 64 bit version.

Or you could download the Win7 RC, it's free for a year.

Build looks okay, do you have links to your parts?

I am buying this off of www.ecollegepc.com.

I have heard many people(people I know personally) rave about how well built their computers are.

Will Win7 use less resources? I have heard that vista drags down systems that have better potential.

Also, what are the advantages of premium vista over basic?

Win7 does use less resources than Vista...a lot less.

Vista premium has Aero, basic doesn't. That's the main difference. If you get basic, you're basically buy XP with a different theme. I have also noticed that Premium works slightly better than Basic in stability, but some people will debate that. It's just what I've seen in my own experience.

I've never seen a PC from there before...their prices seem alright I suppose. I would try pricing out something similar on newegg, though.

Win7 is built off of Vista. They took the best of it and made it better. :D

Definitely worth grabbing while it is in RC. I know I will be going to the full thing when it is released as I am very impressed with it.

In all honesty, I have never built a computer and the idea frightens me.

With so many parts, I could easily mess something up.

I am 17 and I have a basic knowledge of computer and the internet, and I'm sure there are guides, but like I said, it seems like a daunting task without someone looking over your shoulder.

Although, I could build it if it really isn't difficult.

It's really not all that hard mate. There are plenty of guides out there, and we're all pretty seasoned in building. It's mostly straightforward though. :p

Will it require tools?

Trips to the local computer parts store?

That's my problem. I have a feeling that the parts won't really be cheaper on newegg(I've used newegg plenty of times and done a few comparisons). After gas money and little things here and there, it seems like I will end up being worse off, taking into account my own time building the thing.

I'm on a $7 an hour wage, and I have a bit saved up, but I don't want to spend any more than I need to.

Okay, thank you. I will look into it.

So this build will be able to power through most games?

I am looking to be able to play mid range games as stated in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom