Worth fixing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennykyser

Baseband Member
After you guys walked me building my pc, I built one for my Mom and it went really smooth, Now I have her old pc, and wonder if its worth fixing up, even for just an internet pc.

Not sure of the processor speed but it is running win 98 se, has a 5 gig hd, I put extra memory in it so its up to 128 megs of pc100 ram.

I know it needs a cd rom drive, larger hd, and its expandable to 512 megs of ram. I see where pc 100 ram is expensive right now so not sure if its worth upgrading or not? The Hd was an Ultra if that helps.

It originally had 64megs of ram, so I am sure this thing is old.

i wouldnt even bother fixing it up, format the hdd, open it up, do whatever damage you can do to the inside of it then toss it and the computer

I'm in the same boat as I have a new, home built computer and a dinosaur with a 533 Celeron.
Today in the Fry Electronics ad, there is an ECS motherboard and Sempron 2800+slot A combo for $79.99. I have 528mb of PC3200ram and a 400watt psu. Neither of those things was very expensive. It seems to me that you could get this stuff and have a semi decent desktop for the internet, word processing, etc.
I'm thinking about doing it myself.:eek:

That would be just fine if all you want to do is surf the web, but I wouldn't put any money into it unless you can get a stick of RAM for like $10. It could also be a good download box. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom