Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KickzOnly

Beta member
Hey. So i've got this budget rig and im thinking of upgrading it. The specs are GT220, Pentium Dual Core E6500, 650GB HDD, 4 GB of DDR2 ram and a ****ty 300W PSU. Now im thinking of buying a new 500W PSU and a GT550 Ti but my processor is such a piece of crap i don't know if it's worth it? any suggestions?

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L. I wasn't really planing to buy a new CPU. Will it bottleneck bad with my old one?

A new CPU for that mobo really isn't worth the money. I would just upgrade the psu and the video, then your next move would be a new mobo, cpu and memory if your still not happy.

Isn't a Quad or even a C2D more than a Pentium Dual Core?

That's not the point. Why spend that much money on old tech? He can use the psu and video card in a new system with just a few more parts but the cpu is money down the drain. Newegg has two LGA775 Quad cores available and there both over $200. The Q9550 is $300, for just a little more he could get a new mobo, cpu and memory.

This is just $12 more than the Q9550

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

That's not the point. Why spend that much money on old tech? He can use the psu and video card in a new system with just a few more parts but the cpu is money down the drain. Newegg has two LGA775 Quad cores available and there both over $200. The Q9550 is $300, for just a little more he could get a new mobo, cpu and memory.

This is just $12 more than the Q9550
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
But wouldn't my old CPU bottleneck the **** out of the GPU? I just want to know how much.

All i want to know is how much my old CPU will bottleneck the new GPU that's all. Will i get a major performance drop?

@ KickzOnly, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Is the cpu going to bottleneck the new gpu? Probably, but it will still perform better than the best card that won't be bottlenecked by the cpu.

@ KickzOnly, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Is the cpu going to bottleneck the new gpu? Probably, but it will still perform better than the best card that won't be bottlenecked by the cpu.
Excuse me. For some reason i can't see some of my previous posts so i presumed something went wrong and it didn't get posted or something. Anyways thanks for the info. I'll probably get a new card. Sorry for my stupidity again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom