Workstation PC - High dust, High moisture, High chance of getting knocked a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
As above I repeat this is not a high performance machine it is for word, internet and little fun on the side. Budget is budget I am in nam so prices I have no clue on just want to get a list of items to work with which I can present to my boss. I haven't been in this for ages so will just leave to you guys to decide, heres what I am thinking:

Case: functional, good cooling e.g. (1x120mm 2x80mm), easy accessible fan filters that actually work, Don't think silverstone or lian li. Mid-tower
PSU: 300-400W thinking a low number antec for reliable quality
CPU: Tossing a coin either a LGA775 E5*** series or athlon II x3 425
Mobo: depends on the above probably Asus always been an asus guy
Hdd: I have always been a seagate man so 7200.12 320gb unless there is a reason why I want to get the WD caviar black or green that is unmissable in a workstation setting.
Gfx: Low powered gaming card if the mobo on board truly sucks but not a priority.
RAM: G-skill 2gbs just incase I want to clock it a little also recommend some Crucial or Corsair as they are much wider distributed brand that way I can buy them in nam for sure.
Good card reader is the final thing.

Re: Workstation PC - High dust, High moisture, High chance of getting knocked a littl

so you want some suggestions that more or less fit your req's?

Re: Workstation PC - High dust, High moisture, High chance of getting knocked a littl

If you're not gonna game, then the onboard graphics should be OK. Go with AMD- it's very hard to find onboard graphics for an LGA775 platform (not to mention it's cheaper).
If there's a high risk of bumping into it too many times, you might want to go with SSD. While this may be a little unnecessary, it would also increase your productive time by decreasing the boot-up wait and making apps load faster. With the money saved by going AMD, you may be able to incorporate an SSD with little to no difference in cost. I'd get a small HDD for data as well.
Here's what I put together:
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners - DVD burner
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - 250GB HDD
Newegg.com - IMC FX-087 All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader -card reader
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864BN1337 -2GB Crucial Ballistix ddr3 1333
Newegg.com - A-DATA S596 Turbo AS596TB-32GM-C 2.5" 32GB USB 2.0 & SATAII Internal / External Solid State Drive (SSD) -32 GB A-DATA SSD w/ bracket
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! -Antec case+ EarthWatts PSU
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! -ASUS mobo/AMD Athlon II x3
Unless you need OS, that should be it. These are all good parts, and great bang for your buck. If you're outside of the US, you may need to find another source but use this list as reference.

Indeed muffin man that's what I would like from you if you have the time.

Thanks for giving a go liking most things but a few issues

The case says it has a washable air filter but look it at it, I ma 100% sure there is no filter on that rear fan and with the grill designed for high performance gpu's to have extra cooling, I very doubt that is filtered. The only possible placement for this supposed filter is the front intake where there are 2 fans for hdd cooling but with the rest is so open I doubt they have done it well.

Never heard of A-data and I very much doubt nam would have it as well, but very valid point I am thinking the OCZ stuff. I will look out and get back to everyone for final advice.

I need an OS but I can buy that for pittance here.

As long as the case has filters on all the input fans, then very little dust will make its way in (it's not exactly going in through the output fans). There may be a few open bits but if need be you could sellotape over them on the inside.

I realise that yami perhaps your missing the point of my comment as I didn't make it clear there is a massive vent on the side for high performance gpu's which would just let dust flow through without issue.

Ah, sorry :p

I realise that yami perhaps your missing the point of my comment as I didn't make it clear there is a massive vent on the side for high performance gpu's which would just let dust flow through without issue.

you're probably going to find that with alot of cases though, even real cheapy ones. maybe if you look at htpc-ish cases you might find what you want, since i guess they're meant to be relatively quiet. maybe like the antec sonata cases.

cpu, i'd go with the athlon ii because lga775 is becoming a dead socket, plus it's got an extra core.

motherboard, asus is good if you're partial to them. gigabyte, msi and biostar are a couple other good brands. if you want to use onboard video look for boards with the 785g chipset. if you wanna throw in a cheap gaming card in, a 4670 (or a 5570 which is more or less its 5xxx series equivalent) is probably the lowest end i would go. or spring some more for a 48xx series card if you like.

ram is pretty self explanatory i guess, if you get an am3 board you need ddr3, if you get an am2/am3 board you'll need ddr2.

hdd, the caviar blacks or samsung f3's are pretty quick drives, i don't know much about the seagates though. the caviar blues should work as well, but i would just avoid the slower caviar greens. an ssd is always an option if you have the money for it, ocz vertex and agility drives, intel, corsair and g.skill drives would be some to look at too. some a-data drives are rebranded intels as well, that might be found for a little less if you're considering them.

psu, i don't think your rig will be too power hungry, an antec (430w basiq or earthwatts), or corsair cx400 if you can find it.

i have no idea on card readers though :sweat:.

hope this helps a little.

If the computer will be in a high dust enviroment, and have a high chance of being knocked around, buy some fan filters, they will need cleaning, but, it will keep the internals cleaner than with out, and some rubber mounts for the hard drive, not sure what you could do for the optical drive.

Now worries yami thanks for having an input

Muffinman. Case wise I don;t see the issue all my cases have always been filtered and sealed from dust but were going back a while apart from my current lian li but there you would be surprised if it wasn't the best. God **** you man don't tell me LGA775 is dead I still have it and I first got heavily into tech when it launched lol why not just give me a gun and one round. Yeah I realise its dead/dying which to me means cheap like the P4's were past there day high performance cpu at very low prices and as this is not a performance platform it won't need upgrading and therefore upwards compatibility is less of an issue.

noted the chipset and those cards. The caviar greens use 6 watts less power or atleast they use to samsung was liable to teething problems 2-3 years ago as in they worked for 6 months then died or worked forever so not sure on that point yet.

Thanks for the PSU's they are noted.

If the computer will be in a high dust enviroment, and have a high chance of being knocked around, buy some fan filters, they will need cleaning, but, it will keep the internals cleaner than with out, and some rubber mounts for the hard drive, not sure what you could do for the optical drive.

Lol corrosive read before you write bud I know us old techies are much beyond such things but thats the discussion the whole way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom