Wireless Tech b/g/n?

h2oskidude

Beta member
I'm curious if there's a difference between b/g/n in a laptop. The computer I got has a g in it. I know g is slower than n. But is this just an issue if the laptop is being used to emit a wireless signal? Or will this affect the receiving speed it can download information at?

N has a wider range, and a higher maximum bandwidth. Will only really affect if you're at a farther distance, or if you're transferring files over your home network over wireless. Your internet speed shouldn't be affected either way.

Thanks for your replies guys! Going back to the transfer of files over wireless in a home network, I'm wanting to use putty or some other software which allows me to "remote in" to my desktop. Will the g wireless in the laptop make this more difficult? or will this all be done over the internet, and is therefore a moot point?

Depends. Are you going to be remoting in over your own network, or remotely over the internet from another location?

Well you're still going to be limited by the bandwidth of your internet connection that you're paying for, as well as the internet connection of where you're at remotely. G vs N won't make really a difference for speed.

Back
Top Bottom