Wireless Router & It's requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptymush

Solid State Member
ok, so I'm currently running a Dell Inspiron 9200 which has the mobil centrino technology in it. It automatically detects and connects to wireless networks of the 802.11b/g variety. My question is this: I am going to buy a Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GX router. I am curious if this will work with my pc as is, or if I have to buy the Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SRX400 as well. Basically, I want to be able to plug my cable into the router and be able to connect to the internet simply from there. Is the Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SRX400 really necessary or is that just to make it go a bit faster? I'm a student, so funds are a bit tight, though I want to make a solid investment and something that will do right with speed. As the Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SRX400 is roughly an additional $80-$100 I'd be content if my pc will do fine without it, though I need to know if it is something required for the router to work. I'm all ears as I'm taking two online courses this semester and need to get this item soon. Please let me know the truth in regards to this and if it is just a marketing ploy to get the Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SRX400 or if the router itself will suffice. Time is of the essence, so please reply promptly. Thanks so much!

Ok if you buy a wireless router then all you need to acsess that roouter is a wireless card in your laptop, as far as i know. Although if you have a PC and install a wireless adapter there is a lot more hassle. You should be fine, unless someone else knows diferently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom