Wireless internet on laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ The way I see it, if the network isn't secure, then it's free game... The only way to tell if you are 'allowed' to use it or not is if it is protected with WEP, WPA, etc. etc.... if not, go for it. My fiance and I got free wireless that way in Florida when we went there in February. I am thinking we just lucked out and stayed within hotspots though... not entirely sure.

As for my initial post, I didn't see his reply before responding, and didn't know he was in Canada.

Anyways... It MIGHT be possible to get a wireless router at your home, and use a POWERFUL uni-directional antenna and share the connection 500m away. I believe that some wireless routers boast distances of 300m outdoors... Just note that the connection might be very slow, depending on signal strength, you may lose packets.

Ok thanks. I'm gonna go with just tryin to steal the connection.

But what is it called when it can do that?

Not too sure what you mean....

If the gas station is a couple hundred meters away from any wireless connections, chances are you won't be able to connect to any of them.... furthermore, they may be secured networks that you won't be able to connect to.

Your best bet would be looking into something like the Verizon wireless broadband.... That way, you simply use the PCMCIA card in your laptop, and in theory, I suppose you would get internet anywhere that a cell phone would have a signal... If you look around, there might be other carrirers doing it cheaper than Verizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom