Wireless Is Good? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Wireless Is Good?

well im bout to build my own pc, its gonna be in my room so the only option for internet is wireless (loft coversion) the thing is i aint got much money left over n i can afford bout £40, i think thats about $60. n i was thinking of getting this

the thing is that this is a basic router n usb reciever, will it disconnect every1 5 mins? everyone i know hu has wireless has d/c's at least once an hour. and also, will this be good enough for gaming multiplayerish? if its not can someone tell me what to do, i have £40 remember.

Sig removed due to size. Please refer to the sig rules before adding another one.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

My wireless internet disconnects alot, but that's because its Wireless-B, and 2-years old.

New Wireless Routers/Cards will be much better at signal, I have never seen my new laptop drop signal with Wireless-G.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

My net connection never goes down and I play online games with ease. The only problem I have is if im downloading a lot and sometimes the router decides to stop working.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

You might want to get a pci wireless card. I have a usb wireless stick and it lags alot on lan games and also gets very hot. However it is fine for browsing the internet and msn, but i wouldnt want to try gaming on it.
AMD 3000+
2gb RAM
X800 PCI-e
80gb + 250gb WD HDDs
X-FI Xtreme Music
Old 06-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

i game on a wireless USB... it does get quite hot. (edit, actually, i have a small heatsink knocking about... i wonder if i can get the case apart without breaking it?)

my wireless G connection needs resetting (by turning the rouer off and on) about every half hour when me AND my brother are connected, but it is fine with only one of us on.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I have 54mbps G wireless in my apartment, one pc hooked up to the router on a LAN and another on the WAN. I have never hard to reset the router, my WAN computer stays on 24/7 and is always connected and averages about 30Mbps speed with the router.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

This is what I would do; A box of this: http://www.autdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Network_Cables.html 4 RJ45 ends (15p each) - in case you do it wrong and burrow one of these from a school http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...257&doy=search and get your self a drill.

One of these is optional: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...CW34M&doy=25m6

My friends wireless drops out and lags out badly (G) I think it cost him around £100 last year.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 06-25-2006, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

i have wireless and just replaced the router and cable modem cause of the dang storm.

other than that it works swell.

i definately wouldn't go back to cords cause i hate wire messes.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

thancks guys, ill try see if i can get a pci card, can someone post a cheap 1 so i have an idea what thye look like, and do they go into them realy small slots near the graphics card?
Sig removed due to size. Please refer to the sig rules before adding another one.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have to amit that my apple airport card has never been turned off for re-booting. It's as stable as ****, as is the apple airport car I use. Has a Linksys wireless network point hooked up as well, but even though that was G, we took it out of service because it kept disconneting. Overheating does seem to be a problem with wireless kit- woner how long it'll be before manufacturers start aing fans to them.

Closed Thread