wireless booster - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default wireless booster

about how far do you think i could boost my cable and network?

My uncle wants free internet and my dad wants to give it to him but, he lives about 1-2 miles away and are wireless won't reach that far.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

Your looking to boost 1-2 miles? Not going to happen...

A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 06-26-2006, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Even if it WAS to happen, you'd be most likely giving free internet to thousands of people.

Your uncle's cheap. Make him pay for internet access like everyone else.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

but still how far could u boost internet if u got thos range x-tender things that u plug into the wall. its not like the thing at macmall. theres a cafe across from my house and they have free wirelless but i only get like 2 bars (using windows wireless manager thing). so would those range x-tenders work effectively?

MacBook 2.2GHz Santa Rosa | 120GB HDD | 4GB ram
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.2GHz | 4GB ram | 880GB total HDD space | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | eVGA 8800GTS 640mb | Corsair HX 520 | Audigy 2 ZS platnium | Antec 900
Old 06-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It's just not possible. Sending a signal for internet two miles away. The ping would be so high, it'd be unuseable. Not to mention, anyone else in that 2 mile radius would be able to pick up that wireless signal, and bring your own bandwidth to a crawl.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

Actually, you COULD do this, however this is where you throw conventional networking out the window...

BEST SOLUTION: Have your uncle pay the $30 - 40 a month for internet... it would be FAR FAR cheaper than letting him share your internet...

you CAN'T use a wire unless you are in the boonies... You can't cross any Through-ways, like roads, rail-roads, or bodies of water... to do so would be a federal offence. Only Telco's, power companies & other such providers can do this... Not to mention the fact that unless you use Fiber (VERY expensive) you would have to have a repeator about every 100 yards.

What WOULD be possible is using Ethernet over Laser or Microwave towers... The trouble with each of these is that the cost would be so enormus, only a FOOL would share internet across it... they would have to have Line of Sight to work, so you would need 2 large towers. I am sure that there are other ways to accomplish this as well, but they would also be just as expensive....

There is ONE other alternative, and that would be to have your uncle come over and use your computer when he wants to use the internet.
Gaming Laptop: - ASUS K501LX-EB71 - Stock (Wife's) - Gateway P-6860FX - Stock (Mine)
General Laptop: - Sony Vaio SVE141D1L - Stock (Mine)
Gaming Rig: BACK ONLINE!! ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION), Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell (Stock Cooling), HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1866,
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to shdwsclan

Its possible, but not with the cantenna.

Well, i got something close to a mile with 2 primestar dishes.....

Laser would be most direct and can be built for about $100...but you also need 2 ends...

Many people fail to see that wifi is just radio and you need descent transmitter on both sides.

Yes it is possible....with minor modification and good pigtail.
The furthest recorded wifi signal ever recieved was 125 miles.

You may need to get a wifi-A router since it uses a higher frequency which will allow signals to travel farther.....

...Comparing am, fm, wb, tv, and satellite bands....you can see how much further each can travel on a stable signal..

Amplifiers are also good....clouds too....to bounce the signal off of them..-> mimo claims to do this but fm band does it toooooo...

You can also transmit through HAM, or CB.....there are some nifty tool on linux....

Here is something i found interesting.....too bad i didnt know about this when i built my extended network...

You may need to phase shift to a higher frequency.....

Anyways...most of these are not unidirectional.....you will need a radio tower with an amplifier ...

CB, Ham, and FM are often used by foreign secret service spys in america for data transmission......

As for ping....depending on what/where/how....ping is rated at top...
+.5 secs
at bottom +5secs

Note: Laser uses an extremely confined beam and you would need to see the target your hitting....only one way too....you will need 2 recievers...and 2 transmitters...

Closed Thread