Windows XP Startup, Shutdown, and My Computer issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockey2112

Beta member
Hello all,

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. I just reinstalled Windows yesterday, and have been adding my components one by one. I ran into a problem tonight when trying to install my multi card reader.

I installed the drivers and plugged the card reader into the USB connector on my Mobo. I attempted to boot up windows after plugging my power cables back in; it took forever to boot up. Once it booted, I did a restart, and it took forever to log off and reboot. When it did reboot, it began sending me to the "Windows did not shut down/ start up properly... choose safe mode, last know good config, start windows normally" dialogue.

I have chosen "start windows normally" and "last known good config", and neither one of them solve my problem (extremely slow log on and log off/ shut down). Also, once I finally make it into Windows, I cannot access the contents of My Computer. All other folders work fine, and I can easily navigate to the various hard drives by typing their location in the address bar of the folder. But when I double-click on My Computer, or type its location directly into my address bar, I just get the hourglass and nothing happens.

This definitely has to have something to do with that darn card reader. None of these issues occurred until immediately after I installed the reader. I did not download any programs and install them, so I am confident that I did not contract a virus.

Can anyone please help me fix this problem?

Specs:

ASUS A8N-SLI mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core CPU
Corsair 512 MB single DDR RAM
WD SATA HD
2x WD IDE HD
DVD+R Drive
generic firewire PCI card
MyHD tuner PCI card
Firewire case component plugged into Firewirre connector on mobo
USB case component plugged into USB connector on mobo

have you tried to unplug the card reader. get a program called driver cleaner and use it to delete all your card reader drivers it may be a botched install.

an51r said:
have you tried to unplug the card reader. get a program called driver cleaner and use it to delete all your card reader drivers it may be a botched install.

Yes, I unplugged the card reader (just to be sure that I am being clear... it is plugged directly into the mobo's 10-pin USB connector, not an external mobo USB connector), but it did not fix the problem, even after several reboots. I always receive the "choose a mode" message, followed by a painfully slow boot up and shut down once I do so, as well as the lack of access to My Computer.

I haven't heard of Driver Cleaner before... is this it? http://www.drivercleaner.net/ If that is it, do you know of a freeware alternative?

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom