Windows XP Sale - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Windows XP Sale

Someone is selling Windows XP Home SP1 (2002 edition) for 20$. if I got this and put it on my new computer would it work? could i then go to Windows updater and get SP2? because its $90 brand new and im poor.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

i guess. or you could get linux for free.

WD 80GB
7900GT 256
Old 08-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

is linux hard to use? and can things that require Windows XP SP2 (like hardware and games) be run on linux?
Old 08-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

If you're asking whether you should pay money for Windows or not, then Linux isn't for you.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

wut do u mean pay money or not? are u suggesting that i illegally download it?
Old 08-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

i have another question..my friend just bought Windows XP home and im wondering...he hasnt registered it online yet..but once he does will i be ablt to use it too? what if i get a CD-key off limewire..will that work?
Old 08-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

It will work, but it will be absolutely illegal. I do not suggest getting a cd key off limewire, that program is a peice of crap, go do it legally.

Read the rules next time, please
Old 08-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

We can't answer that question, and no I am not suggesting that you download a pirate copy of it.

I'm merely saying that if you are asking about buying Windows, then you probably aren't experienced enough to use Linux, as Linux is a whole new world and would require you to learn a great deal before it would be as usable as Windows is to you now.

But to answer your question "is linux hard to use? and can things that require Windows XP SP2 (like hardware and games) be run on linux?"

At first, Linux will be difficult to get used to, but once you're used to it, it can be a lot easier to use than Windows, and you will never want to turn back to Windows. Some things that require Windows (such as Windows programs, what have you) can be run in Linux using Wine, or Wine derivatives such as Crossover Office or Cedega. In my experience, 1 in 5 games I try to play in Cedega have worked well. The others either didn't work at all, or worked very poorly. There are native Linux games as well, such as Doom 3, Quake 4, UT2004, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and soon to be Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, and UT2007. The reason these games are able to be easily ported to Linux is because they don't use DirectX rendering, they use OpenGL. These games work just as well as they do in Windows, if not better.

Linux works on 99% of the computers out there including Macs, cell phones, iPods, and regular PC's. Almost all hardware is supported, including newer video cards and even SLi multi-GPU rendering. ATi's video drivers are pretty flakey in Linux, so if you use Linux I suggest an Nvidia card, as my experience with them in Linux has been nothing but excellent.

If you would like more information about Linux, post in the Linux section, you'll get tons of useful links and help if needed.

Oh, and one more thing: Linux is free (free as in beer,) you may download it, burn it, and install it free of cost, and 95% of the software out there for it is free. There are Linux alternatives to all Windows software, and most of them are free.

Cheers.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

hey, there is something you can do, but it gonna cost, now the disk that is being sold to u is ok, but that key is expired, but you can use ur freinds disk and buy a key and register it with the key you buy...haha my 200th post!! yay
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 08-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

^ He's right, they'll sell you a new license for $10 if you can tell them various aspects of the appearance of the legit disc.

Closed Thread