Windows won't boot after cpu/mobo upgrade

mwwwilson

In Runtime
I was running a dual boot setup with my old cpu/mobo. CPU was an AMD Phenom II 840 running on a Biostar mobo with 12GB (2x4GB and 2x 2GB sticks) DDR3 RAM.
I had my Windows setup to default to WIN10 with the option to start in WIN7 Ultimate. I have my WIN10 on an SSD (150GB) and WIN7 Ultimate is on a HDD (500GB).
I swapped out the mobo with an ASROCKS mobo with 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM. The new cpu is an Intel i5 6600k. On startup I still get the Dual Boot Menu and the computer will boot into WIN10 (default choice) with no problems. However, when attempting to boot into WIN7 Ultimate, it restarts and WIN7 goes into BSOD after a couple of seconds on the WIN7 splash screen.

Some added information:
Now, one problem is that I have not been able to install any software that came with the mobo because my DVD player is an older IDE type interface and this new mobo only has SATA on mobo. Software came on a CD/DVD.
I have not messed with the CPU/MOBO/RAM since it does boot correctly into WIN10. Everything seems to work fine in this environment. Everything seems to be okay. I just cannot boot into WIN7.

ANY, ANY, ANY info would be truly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Hardware profile is different - you'll need to reinstall Win7 to get it working again. You can do an in-place upgrade without wiping the Win7 partition, but you'll have to reinstall your applications and move your personal files out from the C:\Windows.old folder.

As for the software being on a disc - should also be available on their website for download.

Half the time 7 doesn't like a platform swap, the other half when things go right you're lucky. Don't worry about the software CD, never use those. Basically saying, the BSOD with Windows 7 is pretty normal.

Go into the Biostar board and check to see if your SATA controller was running in IDE or AHCI mode. If running in AHCI mode more than likely you'll need to grab what you can off the 7 install then reinstall it on the new platform.

Back
Top Bottom