Windows PC in Mac G4 case

Status
Not open for further replies.

PupRa

Beta member
Hi. This is my first post into the forum and I was wondering if it's possible to build a IBM PC based computer in a Mac G4 case?

I've just recieved a hand me down G4 in bad shape and think it would be cool to scrap the Apple & put a Windows PC in the case. Will I have to cut up the back or anything else? DOes anybody know if the placemwent of components would make this difficult?

I'm less than an ameture at building a computer as this will be my first but I think it would be pretty cool to use the Apple G4 case if I can. Anybody have any ideas?:)

No munity/sacrilige(sp?) here:
My fiance has her G5 across the room and I use it all the time (she's a film student and uses final cut pro and other apps like that a lot). I'm good with OS X and think Apple computers are VERY cool... for her.

My Problem:
The computer came with no ram, HD or DVD drive. I think it's the slowest G4 made (450mhz) and I have no use for the Zip drive that my friend did leave in when he gave it to me.

My Idea:
Showing up at a LAN party with my sweet "Mac" PC and everybody going WTF! Plus, the handles make it really easy to carry dispite it's size & weight.

So, does anybody know if it can be done with only a minimum of modding the case and if so, what components should I use? I want to keep it relatively inexpensive but still have a rig that will play pretty new games. Oh and I want to be able to record TV directly to the hard drive if possible too.

Thanks.

Well, in that case, if it's almost totally inoperable...

...it would be possible, however difficult. You would have to tear a hole in the back of the case where the mobo was, most likely rewire the power and reset buttons, and find an extra long IDE cable (if the one in the case is no longer intact, you are gonna have to find one.) If you want two harddrives, you will also need to find another harddrive bay.

It's not impossible, but it's gonna be interesting. Good luck.

It will be very tricky to mod the case. Put some ram and a old hdd in it and put os x or linux on it, i would do that but you dont seem to have any need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom