Windows doesn't detect vc. please help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Windows doesn't detect vc. please help

Hi. I am building a computer for a friend, everything boot ok except when I try to install the control multimedia center I think It stops and says it can't install it because the system does not detect and ati hardware ( vc ati 5200). I've build 3 computer before and never had this problem what should I do? Thanks.

W.D 320 gb hd
Pioneer 111
LG dvd-rom
21.6 samsung
Windows xp pro sp2
Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Neowin.net

sometimes you need to install the software b4 you install the hardware. so, try uninstalling anything related first. remove the hardware. install the software... then shut down again and put the hardware in... windows should then detect it and install the correct drivers....good luck

Old 04-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

doesn't apply to video cards because you can't install drivers blind. best thing i could say is to try another version of the drivers and if all else fails get a new card
Old 04-22-2006, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
There and Back again

Concur with nitestick... Get the latest drivers... or from the sounds of it... replace the card... windows SHOULD see any card you throw in a system. Then you update the drivers as such... basic windows drivers are designed to see just about anything. (meaning GPU)

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

i'm not familiar with ati 5200

i know the geforce fx5200...

make sure your monitor is plugged into the videocard and not the integrated stuff....
Old 04-23-2006, 02:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

d'oh, good point. if you were trying to install catalyst drivers then its no surprise it didn't work. try downloading the nVIDIA Forceware drivers, not 3rd party versions but the ones direct from nVIDIA. version 81.98 has never failed me although i have had problems with other versions
Old 04-23-2006, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for the replys guys. I didn't download the new drivers because my buddy was in a rush and he took the computer like that ( he lives in another town 30 min. drive from me), I will go to his place and download the new driver or take the vc out and exchange it. But how come that my motherboard does not have a video integrated and and when I put a movie in played it?
Now I have another question, I took my video card from my (sig computer) and I was going to try in his but didn't have time, so I put back and put a brand new round ide cable, I change the HD cable when I boot the computer didn't boot because I forgot to connect the power supply cable on, I open the comp and connect it , but it only worked inside it didn't boot, so I took the round cable and put the old one in, but it gave the constant beeps, so I took one of my 512 Ram and it boot but it does not detect my HD and dvd-rws, and it takes a while to boot and go into the bios. I will try to give the comp a good dust clean unplug everything and plug back in. I will post back.
Thanks for time to read all this.
W.D 320 gb hd
Pioneer 111
LG dvd-rom
21.6 samsung
Windows xp pro sp2
Old 04-23-2006, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

if its not playing movies it will be a codec problem no doubt. download the k-lite codec pack. it has just about everything you could need
Old 04-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to FlashDude

Make sure you didn't bend any pins in the drive and make sure you have the cables correct on the motherboard. Why did you pull the stick of ram?? What led you to beleive this was the problem? Where you doing something else in there that you didn't mention?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

I put eveything back on and still it doesn't detect HD DVD-RWs. FLASH DUDE I made sure the cables are correct on the mobo. I pull the sitck of ram because when I first build it, it didn't boot with the two stick of ram, it gave the same beeps. As I say before I took the VC out to put it into my friend computer but it didn't need it so I put back on and put the stupid round cables on.
What should I do now, should I reset the bios?
Thanks.

W.D 320 gb hd
Pioneer 111
LG dvd-rom
21.6 samsung
Windows xp pro sp2
Closed Thread